When size doesn't matter, South Sea or Akoya?

cyndayco

I'm shopping online for my beading project, an opera necklace of different pearl types (FW keshi, Tahitian, Akoya) and colors. Initially, I planned on buying loose drilled golden akoya pearls, but I came across golden south sea pearls in the same size range (7-10mm).

Normally, one buys SSPs because they are bigger, and Akoyas, because they pack a lot of luster for their small size. But when they're both available in the same size, which is better?

Comparing the two in the same size range, the akoya will have better luster (typically). The color really depends on the strand on both sides, but with South Sea, the color heavily influences value. The nacre will be thicker with South Sea, but if there is any sort of price overlap, the South Sea will either be low grade (poor color/surface/coating) or the akoya over-priced. In other words, a fine strand of golden akoya can be had for the cost of a low-grade or poor color (round) South Sea in the same size.

Even with the difference in nacre, if the pearl is the same size, typically akoya is the better choice. Aesthetically you will get a lot more for your money.

Thanks, Jeremy.

Having never seen good quality golden akoyas IRL, I was prepared to compromise on the depth of the color. Not to mention the durability of akoyas in a long necklace. Your reassurance has certainly made me feel better about my original choice.

But in the end, you're right; it does depend on the actual strands, so I've asked for real-life photos of the Akoyas. Hopefully, with that, I can compare the apples with apples. Or in this case, the oranges with oranges.

Please do share the photos, I'd love to see them.

Back