What type of pearls do I have and what's their value?

lays79

I received these pearls as a gift from a relative about 10 years ago but never knew if they were real. I've only worn them once or twice and am now looking to either give them away or sell them, based on their possible value. I have no box or tags and there are no marks on the clasps. I tried to do the teeth test but could not tell anything from it-maybe I'm not doing it accurately. The length of the necklace is about 15in and the bracelet about 7in. The pearls themselves measure about 0.7 cm and seem to have uniform size and shape (which could mean they aren't real). I appreciate the help! Thanks! 8606302379 43211c28d1 cimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
(The following is copied and pasted from the Sticky on this forum)

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

We would be pleased to try to help you determine what sort of pearls you have, but we will need some information from you first.

We need you to answer every question:

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

I'm adding a 6th question-- how long are the necklace and bracelet? Measure them from one end of the clasp to the other end.

Please understand that any opinions we offer are not an official appraisal. If you think you may have valuable pearls, please see a jeweler.​

Back