What kind of pearls do I have?

EllaOchi

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
- They feel gritty

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

These pearls originally belonged to my great great Aunt who was Japanese. I'm not sure which part of Japan she would've purchased these pearls. She would have purchased them as early as 1900 and as late as 1920. My mother thinks they might be non-cultured, but I don't have an X-ray to show that. They are definitely quite heavy for such small pearls. Unfortunately, I don't have a scale to weigh them.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

- The clasp was not the original clasp, but it says "14k" on it.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

- The smallest pearl measures 14mm in diameter, and the largest pearl measures 26mm in diameter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I would also like to see if I can get a rough estimate on how much they're worth because I'm not sure if I should insure them.
IMG_1232.jpgIMG_1240.jpgIMG_1230.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1229.jpg
Thank you so much!

Hi There-

Great photos, very nice job. I don't think the millimeter measurements are correct though- 14-26mm would be HUGE, and would be larger than the battery shown next to them. This looks like a standard graduated Akoya pearl necklace, probably starting at 5 or 6mm maybe smaller. I do see evidence of some slightly off-round shapes, but that could be natural barreling of the shape due to wear... The time frame is perfect for a necklace of early cultured Akoya (1915 and on) but I'll let others weigh in as I'm not a naturals expert.

Thank you! I think I definately botched up the measurement- I measured all the way around the pearl. If they're Akoya, how valuable do you think they might be? Trying to decide if I should insure them..

I totally botched the measurements!
The correct measurements are the smallest- 4mm, largest- 8-9mm. The necklace is 10in in length and has 81 pearls in all.
Do you think it's worth getting appraised?

Thanks so much for your reply!

It does look like the cultured graduated akoya strands typically sold in Japan during WWII and Korean War era, and maybe earlier. They were called 3.5 momme strands as that is what the strands typically weighed, more or less. I have a strand like yours that ranges from 5mm to 8mm.

You probably don't need to get them appraised. If you look at "sold" listings on eBay you will see a range of prices for such strands. I've seen from $20 or so to several hundred, depending on how nice the pearls are (tight knots, clean, attractive gold clasp vs. dirty silk knots, stretched-out strand with gaps, cheaper clasp), and how well done the ad is (good photographs etc.) Mikimoto strands sell for significantly more than strands that don't have Miki clasps and documentation.

I do want to add something: These older akoya pearls used to be left in the water for considerably longer than they are today before being harvested, and have thicker nacre as a result. Yours look like they were restrung with that new clasp not so long ago-- the knots look tight and clean. I hope you will enjoy wearing them!

Thank you everyone! I'm so excited to have a wonderful family heirloom that was passed down from so long ago. I appreciate all of your input! Merry Christmas!

Back