What kind of pearl?

Gemini

Hello & happy new year! I know these are not valuable, nor rare, I would just like to know what kind of pearls these are. Hopefully somebody can help me. (I feel kinda silly though, I really should know my pearls, since it is my birthstone...) Apparently, the world of pearls has expanded & evolved a bit over the years. I could use a refresher course, so it seems! Oh, there is one other question...how can you tell the difference between a black tahitian pearl and a pearl that has been dyed, without unstringing it? The knots are very snug, so I really cannot see into the drill hole! Thanks!

8598182673 00c8a768c8 c8598177287 cde2259f3c c8599280962 9ab5aea4da cP1290771.jpg

Welcome, Gemini,

You have a pretty strand of cultured ringed freshwater pearls. They are all nacre, with no bead inside. The rings form naturally while the pearl is still in the mussel. Some of us call these "rings of love." Wear and enjoy! Is that a dark pearl or gemstone in the middle of the roundels? Are you asking if it is a Tahitian? If so, please post another photo of the center pearl. And thank you for the clear photos!

You certainly are right about all the new kinds of pearls!

As for being able to identify Tahitians and dyed freshwater, it's not always easy to tell. But if you have a question about a certain strand, you are welcome to post a photo here. The more you look at each kind and become familiar, the easier it is to differentiate. The dyed freshwaters tend to be more blue/purple and egg shape, and Tahitians more charcoal/green, but can have many overtones. Tahitians also come in lighter shades of gray to almost white. Types of blemishes are somewhat different.

Back