What is a good introduction to the wonderful world of pearls?

I assume that I will go for freshwater as this is an introductory piece, so nothing too outrageous :). My parents got me a quaint demiparure, so I don't need to add anything to it, really. I think I'd go for something dressy, as I'm a pretty formal person when it comes to fashion anyway, and I go to a lot of balls each season (surprisingly cheap!). Now I'm thinking it might be best to get a loose pearl and set it later, either as a ring or as a pendant. That's a very good idea! I see that Pearl Paradise has a very good reputation, so I think I'll go through them. Is there a way to contact them directly so I can see some individual pearls?

If you prefer white pearls you can't go wrong with metallics or freshadama/gem quality pearls. You have a lot of options with your budget - perhaps earrings, pendant or ring. I love this ring from PP - it's simple but elegant https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...ucts/classic-collection-freshadama-pearl-ring

If you are open to coloured pearls, I suggest a Tahitian pendant. The colours can be absolutely mesmerising and there are a number of settings you can choose from. There are a few rings and bracelets available in your price range too.

...I see that Pearl Paradise has a very good reputation, so I think I'll go through them. Is there a way to contact them directly so I can see some individual pearls?

There is a Live Chat feature during hours when they are open (they're in L.A. so are on Pacific Time)-- and at the bottom of their home page their contact information is listed.

Besides sales, they offer "pearl points" (a discount on your order based on how much is spent) -- check out the link at the bottom of the home page.

Servus LVL - I live near Vienna, and we go to the city at about twice a week! I really love Vienna, and can't wait for Christmas time! I just love the lights!

Yes, I love the lights and markets! Unfortunately I won't be there for the markets this year, but I'm still excited for some maroni and punsch. Yum yum yum!

Hi and welcome. I think all the ladies here have given you really good advice. I am a guy, I don't really "wear" white pearls, but I like collecting loose gems. I purchased a loose 9mm white Metallic freshwater pearl from pearl paradise. I'm sure I will eventually mount it and give it away because it is too cool to just sit unadorned. If you are not worried about instant gratification, I like the idea of purchasing a loose pearl and then letting your search for a setting lead you to the perfect choice, one that is much more your taste.

9mm metallic fwp pp.jpg

Oh wow! That is so pretty! Yes, I think I will go for a loose pearl. Thanks again!

So I decided to go for a loose blue akoya from PP. I just purchased it today and I can't wait to get it! I have also ordered some cheap button strands from Wen to practice stringing, just for the fun on it.

Oh the blue strands are nice! Please share pictures when you get it! And if you need stringing help, many of us have done it a time or two... or more than that. It's addicting that way. ;)

unnamed.jpg

Here you go! I''m horrible at taking photos bu it has lovely rose overtones. I'm just not sure if it's a good fit for my skin tone. What do you think?

You were placing it in a ring if I remember correctly? If you are having doubts just remember depending on the type of setting you choose and the color of the metal the pearl would not be directly against your skin (as would a necklace), you might be more confident. I think it a lovely color with your skin tone.

I agree ... a lovely and unique pearl that looks great on your skin!

Beautiful pearl and the luster in very very high. Great choice and will be a beautiful ring.

Thanks, ladies! Yes, it's already half-drilled. I've been looking at it since I got it, and I'm pretty sure I'm in love!

That's lovely, LV. What are you going to do with it? I don't see it listed separately now (but that doesn't mean they don't still stock it). I've had a couple of rings set in this plain band setting from PP. It's about $200 and easily stackable. I like to wear my two diamond band rings with them.

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle.../products/classic-collection-akoya-pearl-ring

3 rings.jpg
The huge GSS and Tahitian pearls are in the setting mentioned above.

gp2.JPG

pearl rings 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back