What does it mean when Akoya pearls wear out?

lenahcpg

I read somewhere that Akoya pearls wear out faster than freshwater pearls? Does this apply for necklaces or earrings?

TIA :)

It really depends on the pearls. Fine akoya pearls won't "wear out" for generations. Akoya pearls with too thin of a coating could wear out in just a few months.

Depending on how they are cared for, both akoya and freshwater could be destroyed.

It really depends on the pearls. Fine akoya pearls won't "wear out" for generations. Akoya pearls with too thin of a coating could wear out in just a few months.

Depending on how they are cared for, both akoya and freshwater could be destroyed.

Thank you for reply! I'm just trying to imagine how one would "wear out" pearls?

I think it really depends on the quality of the pearls...as Jeremy said, fine quality won't "wear out" or more like show wear, if properly cared for. In other words, take caution to avoid damaging pearls by exposure to harsh chemicals, makeups, hairsprays, etc. And if the nacre is particularly thin on akoya pearls take caution as even small scratches and simple exposures can cause the nacre to chip away or peel.

The nacre on any type of pearl can be dulled by exposure to chemicals, such as hair spray, perfume, makeup, lotions. So proper care is not difficult, but important for pearl longevity. We have a forum topic on just pearl care!

Akoya pearls are the most at risk for "wearing out" over any other type of pearl. They have a mother of pearl bead nucleus, and it is difficult for the average person to evaluate how thick the nacre is. Even poor quality Akoya can be shiny and appealing and fairly expensive compared to freshwater pearls.

But if the nacre starts out very thin, it can wear quickly, or chip as Jersey Pearl mentioned. That's why buying Akoya pearls from known reliable sources such as Pearl Paradise is so important and you can get top quality for your money.

this would apply to any kind of akoya jewelry.

Somewhere I have some tiny pearls that were once studs and the nacre has worn down to the MOP bead. I will try to post a pic later on.

I have my grandmother's white akoya pearls that she bought in the 1950s or 1960s, and she tended to buy the least expensive gems instead of good quality. They had rather thin nacre. She wore her pearls daily, and when I inherited them in 1980, I wore them constantly until last year. Once I discovered Pearl Paradise, I ordered some pearls to replace them, because after 60-70 years, my grandmother's pearls were looking a bit dull and a bit flakey in places so I could see the shell bead inside the pearl. I still could wear them, but my new pearls are so much nicer.

Necklaces will wear out faster than earrings, just because necklaces will be rubbing on your neck and collars, and earrings won't be rubbing against anything. However, good pearls should last decades, so wear them and enjoy them daily.

This is what it looks like when vintage akoyas wear out...

This strand belonged to my great aunt and has been worn to bits (by me!). They were re-strung in 2012, you can see where a few were replaced with FWP. I was not happy and had them completely remodelled, adding some FWPs and other beads.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_29f3.jpg

They now look like this!
Pearls CC2.jpg

This garnet/pearl necklace used to be a graduated strand, given to me by my grandmother about 35 years ago, I'd say she got them between 1930 and 1946. I wore them constantly and harshly (creams, sweat, scent, showers etc) until I had to replace the worn out pearls with the garnet beads about 20 years ago.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_29ed.jpg

So you see, you can still love, wear and enjoy your pearls for many, many decades!

Last edited:
We don't hear about Tahitians and South Seas pearls "wearing out." Are Akoya really that fragile and thin?

We don't hear about Tahitians and South Seas pearls "wearing out." Are Akoya really that fragile and thin?

I understand Tahitians have a thicker nacre, I don't know about SSPs, as for akoyas, like Jeremy said above, it depends on the pearls and how they are cared for.
My akoyas are between 60-80 years old, I've no idea of their original quality but I do know I did not care for them properly in my youth. The smaller ones around my neck suffered the most, the larger ones are still fine as you can see with my remodelled necklace.

What Pattye says is vital - "So proper care is not difficult, but important for pearl longevity. We have a forum topic on just pearl care!"

I'm more careful with my akoyas now, although wear and enjoy is what really matters to me!

Back