What can you tell me about these pearls? Is it OK to shorten them?

kdub0752

I have a 30 inch strand of pearls that my father bought my mother in 1983. He paid $1250 for them at Cain-Sloan, a very nice department store in Nashville, Tennessee. I have the certificate that says they are 7mm. On the clasp is says 14K. How much are they worth today? I would like to shorten them to about 18 inches and perhaps make a bracelet out of the rest. Anything else you can tell me I would appreciate.

Attachments

• 7mm.jpg
    7mm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 24
  • clasp1.jpg
    clasp1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
  • clasp2.jpg
    clasp2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 27
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 26
  • strand.jpg
    strand.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 23
You've got a strand of semi-baroque akoya pearls from Japan. The color is still nice as is the luster. It's a nice strand. It isn't worth as much today as it was in 1983, but you still might see a strand like that retail for a similar amount in a store today.

Very lovely strand. Shouldn't be a problem shortening them and making a bracelet. If you make a single strand bracelet, there will be pearls left for earrings and then some extras, too. Or if your wrist is fairly small, you might be able to make a double strand bracelet. The clasp and knots will add length.

It's nice seeing someone post that they are looking to re-fashion inherited pearls so to be more useful to them, rather than simply wanting to sell them.

Before shortening them, hold them up to your neck as though they were 18 inches long. Are you sure you like that specific length? Sometimes 17" looks better, 17.5", or 19" depending on one's neck size.

Also, somehow 7mm pearls worn as a short strand seem smaller than when worn as a 30" strand. I have a 30", 7mm strand of Majorica imitation pearls that I love to wear, but my 7mm Majorica strand looks too small on my neck. I prefer my 8-8.5mm strand for an 18" length.

Just some things to consider. :)

Thank you! This is a great website and so informative. My mother LOVED her pearls and I hope to pass them on to my daughter.

That is interesting....my daughter loves her 18" strand of 7-8mm freshwater pearls (formerly my strand) BUT she also really loves a 28" strand I had made for her. It suits some of her tops better than the short strand. She actually wears the long one more often than the short one.

Back