Tucson News Please!!!

Jeremy, thought about asking our local distributor to send wine for the dinner but Arizona laws are among the strictest in the nation against B.O.B. I look forward to next year, and we'll work it out!

Sounds like it was a wonderful gem show AND dinner.

Regarding orient, peacock is orient in Tahiti, and as you know my rather strict-minded, orient-bashing source in the Cooks is working with the same shell. Josh is on his way to Guaymas where P. Sterna's unparalleled rainbow iridescence represents orient as understood most widely today. The references to orient in Strack are inconsistent and cancel each other out. Any conclusions drawn at dinner?

Steve

Hi All
I slept from 10PM last night to almost noon today. I was so tired! Next year I will definitely curtail my schedule. At first everything was so exciting, Pattye, my daughter Kether, and I ran all over the place for four days. We just about covered it all! That included 3 visits to Tom Stern's booth- Titan Pearls where I photographed some 130 photos over a 3 day span. I will post the 20 or so good photos in his thread on natural pearls.
Every time I visited Tom's booth, well known pearl experts were finding him in his off the beaten course booth in the JOGS show. And one major person is doing an interview for his major pearl publication. I am not positive who, so I hope someone catches me up on that.

I met Antoinette Matlins in front of Tom's booth and asked a couple of questions and for an update on the Victorian Quahog pin. It is still not sold, but she is seeing some good prices for quahog pearls. She told me the the market is opening.

When I first started posting, there was no quahog market. Then I saw the story about the huge quahog pin that was at the 2004 gem show in Tucson. The Victorian quahog pin seems to have provided the publicity needed to start getting the pearls to the experts- and Antoinette Matlins is not the only expert. Jeremy Norris, a member of this forum, had some beautiful quahog pearls with him, so I could see some in person. They were large, dark purples, and very lustrous. He is putting together a strand of graduated quahog pearls, his second, I believe. I asked for photos......maybe some day soon......Then I crashed for 2 days while Elaine and Pattye ran all over everywhere again.

Saturday brought a group of us to the Elisabeth Strack lecture, which was fascinating as always, and should be reported on its own thread. Elisabeth did say her mighty tome (my words) was an endless work and after seven years she finally had to just publish it in the state it was in, because she realized she would never get it all in and never get it all right. She was able to revise and update the English edition, and when she does another edition, no doubt she will try to catch up for a second. Because the second it goes to press the findings keep coming. She is an absolute giant in the pearl world, yet she is easy to approach and easy to talk to. Altogether, a number of us from the pearl guide got chances to speak to her and even have a cup of coffee. She had to decline the dinner invite from Blaire- but it was after she had accepted it for several hours, so I really hope she comes back to lecture next year and will plan ahead to have dinner with us.

I'll jump straight to dinner. This dinner was Jeremy's treat and it was unforgettable! Thank you Jeremy for such a great ending to a fabulous pearly day. First of all, it was at Janos, one of the nicest places to eat in Tucson. Janos been a Tucson favorite for a couple of decades. The food was great, just perfect. Several people ate the surf and turf, which, in spite of its fairly common appearance on menus, was uncommonly delicious. I ordered lamb and got a chop with a long handle, a lamb tamale, and a lamb lengua soft taco. I have made tamales for years, and I know a good tamale. This was great. I never thought of making a lamb tamale, now I can hardly wait for my next one! The taco was a revelation of flavors. The wines were brilliant. I did not try the Chardonnay, but Kether raved about it. It was dry, which she loved. The Cabernet was my choice and what a good choice that was. It was so mellow, extremely educated too, by the hint of old books in an old library, taste that inhabits my favorite Cabernets.
Then the dessert was a perfection of a chocolate souffl?, eaten warm and melting, a strawberry, delicious in its sweet tartness and on the right hand side of this trio a small scoop of ice cream of some kind. This desert would have won on Top Chef; it was far better!

Blaire reminded me that it was my posts about the Gem shows on the "Two weeks of Pearls in Tucson thread" that roped her into membership on this forum. Now, when I compare the solo accounts that year with the 8-10 members that were here this year, it has become the absolute high point of my year in Tucson (which on any other day is still a dusty little border town, no matter how big it's grown)!

One pearly day in Tucson with Jeremy and Pearl-Guiders is as much fun as it gets. So keep the couple of days next February for the pearl walk and dinner. It is so worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caitlin,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and thorough report (certainly made up for the one the gremlins got!). I can't imagine anyone lurking out there reading this thread and not becoming inspired.

Looking forward to next year, and to the pearling adventures to be shared in the interim?

Steve

Yup, a big THANK YOU JEREMY! from me as well. It was a really excellent dinner, a nice surrounding, service and all else. The only problem was the holes in my Margarita glasses. They just kept draining out all on their own.
I had already met Pattye, Blaire (Gemgeek) and my favorite pearl buyer from Arkansas Elaine (ebwootten) but was very happy to know the glue that holds P-G together: Caitlin. She showed up with her daughter Kether who couldn't be nicer as well.

Steve, Very interesting question you had about orient. We discussed this in length with GIA expert Doug Fiske who is a fantastic person to know and especially if you want to know anything at all about pearls. He said that I could say that "Doug Fiske said..." Just Joshin' Doug. What we did conclude though is that orient is a regional thing. There can't be a black and white definition written in stone. Different kinds of pearls express their own versions of it. "Overtones" and "body color" do not sufficiently express what is happening in the complex show of multiple colors of a peacock Tahitian or a rainbow Sea of Cortez pearl. I agree with what you said about the definition of orient being insufficient.
So I guess the conclusion is that what it is depends on where you are.

Jeremy was soooo super to treat us to such a wonderful dinner. It was a terrific way to spend my last night in Tucson. Thanks Jeremy!!! :cool:

I have to say that this year I really wore myself out. I'm still exhausted. I drove home to San Diego from Tucson. It's never as fun to drive home, so I tried to amuse myself by taking photos of the cactus in Arizona.

Those of you who live far away might enjoy the "men" of the desert....

cactus1.jpg

cactus2.jpg

cactus3.jpg

cactus4.jpg

cactus5.jpg

Around the time I was entering San Diego County, I was seriously tired of driving and the sun was low on the horizon. Why not take a photo of my new gold chain I found to go with my keshi pendant?

pendant1.jpg

pendant2.jpg

I never could find a high-karat gold chain. They were all too thick, so I settled on this 18K snake chain that was the best fit for the weight and color of the pendant. ;)

Here, as you enter the rocky desert hills of San Diego County, the view changes to rocks alone. I wanted a better photo, but I wanted to live to see another day more! My camera did pretty well for 70 miles an hour through a car window.:eek:

rocks1.jpg

rocks2.jpg

rocks3.jpg

After a tough week, you can hardly see through the window...
rocks4 w bugs.jpg

Lastly, here is a better photo of my Care Ehret Sea of Cortez ring...
soc mabe ring.jpg

And the travelogue ends. I hope to see more of you next year, but even if you can't leave home, we will all try to share the story. I can't wait to hear more from Josh about the Sea of Cortez... ;)

Josh said:
I agree with what you said about the definition of orient being insufficient.
Josh, you have very disarming ways.;) The very nature of nacre/aragonite platelets being iridescence, it is only in the modern era of cultured pearls and commercially pervasive bleaching/polishing treatments that this quality is rare enough to merit expropriation of a formerly meaningful term. Traditionally, orient referred to depth, or dimension. Iridescence is today's closest approximation. It seems the best we can hope for these days is that the term 'orient' be applied judiciously, albeit on a regional basis.

GemGeek said:
And the travelogue ends
Beautiful thread symmetry, and ever-so-subtle hint that we should be moving along?

The very nature of nacre/aragonite platelets being iridescence, it is only in the modern era of cultured pearls and commercially pervasive bleaching/polishing treatments that this quality is rare enough to merit expropriation of a formerly meaningful term. Traditionally, orient referred to depth, or dimension. Iridescence is today's closest approximation. It seems the best we can hope for these days is that the term 'orient' be applied judiciously, albeit on a regional basis.

Alright, Thanks Steve. Glad to know we're on the same team. Interesting what you said about it originally being about depth. The surface rainbow iridescence is especially well seen on a very high quality Sea of Cortez pearl but depth is more characteristic of Tahitians.

depth is more characteristic of Tahitians.
Josh,

As indicated above, I have tended to voice here the opinions of my earliest pearl contacts from our visit to the Cooks in 2006. Given their belief that orient is practically non-existent today (and was unusual even in the natural pearl era), I've challenged them to find us one pearl on Manihiki that they believe exhibits this quality. No success in two harvests. Would you accept this challenge?

Keshi and light colors considered?
Yes, any pearl! (Our Cook Island giant-keshi bracelet from another thread did not have orient, according to the seller. Didn't affect the price?or maybe it did?)

With all this name dropping and talk of orient and iridescence, one might think there was a group of high-horse professionals in Tucson representing the Pearl Guide. While I can’t take anything away from the content expertise of those gathered, I’m going to bust in here with the raw truth: we are in sore need of some people with mastery of fundamental shopping techniques. Fortunately, it wasn’t a problem at the AGTA, because it wasn’t crowded. Earlier in the week though, it was tougher.
Having heard of the enormous crowds at the various shows in Tucson, I was prepared to utilize the full gamut of maneuvers. When I met Pattye and Caitlin for the first time on Tuesday night, I asked them to show me their fake hair touch - elbow block, a fundamental tactic for getting to the front of a crowded table. Bless their hearts, not only were they unfamiliar with this basic move, they were completely untrainable. This is tragic, too, because Pattye is the perfect height to plant an elbow in someone’s ribs and then apologize profusely once by them with hands on the targeted product, but she’s just too darn nice to do it. Doomed to a life of leisure shopping, I fear. Then, Caitlyn, 6’0” and a former dancer, would have been the ideal leader, except she has some hearing loss in one ear. She kept saying, “Huh?” If there’s one thing a professional shopper needs, it’s all the senses! You have to be able to hear the competition, for crying out loud! As you can tell, I essentially functioned as a service animal for the two of them. In their defense, Pattye was quite generous in letting me put loot in her wheeled suitcase, and having Caitlin as your personal pearl picker is no small thing.
I suggest that we have spring training prior to the show next year. Y’all think I’m kidding? Most people think Peyton and Eli Manning got their talent from their dad, Archie. Their throwing arm, maybe. Their command of the field, ability to be heard over a wild crowd, tight hold on the ball even when sacked, mastery of a variety of plays, split second decision making under pressure…all that came from closely observing the shopping skills of their mother, Olivia. The wife of a professional football player who’s lived in New Orleans and Mississippi knows how to shop! Now, anyone can learn, and we have a whole year to work on it.

Last edited:
eb
Huh?
ROFL!
I must admit I am in awe of your shopping expertise! Bless those transferable skills!

How to get to the desired object certainly is an aspect that has not been reported on, yet is a subject fully worthy on its own. (I should have learned something at that Ashram in India where I went for a conference a couple of years ago...... I was shoved and pushed so much, it's a wonder I ever got to the food, or the lecture, or the money changing booth, or to the Ashram Store, to the bus, to the airline counter, or even to the public loos. (Instead, I just went into an overload of Pitta in my doshas-. :p;)))

(I should add- I'm 5"5 if I haven't shrunk from oldish age)

Thanks for the much-needed diversion, and return to theme. We'll see if I'm ready for the big leagues by this time next year, but most likely will be too much in awe of the veterans to think straight. Must be a bench that needs warming somewhere?

EB, such a pleasure to meet you! You really missed out on dinner and we missed your cheerful company. ;)

What I have learned from other gem shows, which actually are tougher where fighting over the goods is concerned, is to take all of the hanks you might conceivably be interested in and put them in your basket. Get a bigger basket if necessary. :D

When you are done perusing everything, take your basket away from prying eyes, or at least hands, and select from the choice goods you snatched. When people ask, "Are you buying all of those?", tell them very sweetly, but firmly, "yes". When they beg for just one or two strands, reiterate that you really need all of them. If they ask to just "see" them, don't fall for it!!! :eek: (I have stories!!!)

Cheers,
Blaire

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, any pearl!

Hm... isn't the 'fish eye' effect the equivalent of orient for black pearls? By 'equivalent' meaning the visual effect of the same physical property that makes the vanishing waves of rainbow colors in the light colored pearls...

If you mean something else, you'd have to explain/show me to get it (if you wish). ;)

Hm... isn't the 'fish eye' effect the equivalent of orient for black pearls? By 'equivalent' meaning the visual effect of the same physical property that makes the vanishing waves of rainbow colors in the light colored pearls...

If you mean something else, you'd have to explain/show me to get it (if you wish). ;)
I am as impressed and moved as much as anyone by rainbows in keshi and freshwater, fisheye in blacks, overtone in Tahitian/akoya, iridescence in Sea of Cortez, etc and would call them all orient (as people do) if that is what it takes to pass a GIA pearl grader's exam. Thereafter, I would cease to use the term, in favor of the descriptors above.

As explained, I have been advocating a viewpoint influenced by contact in the Cooks, a region of relative isolation to the pearl world at large, also a pearl producing country that retained its natural pearl harvesting traditions far longer than other regions. So unquestionably my advocacy in this area is out of the mainstream?I can only propose that it is refreshingly so.

Hi Steve
All I know about pearling in the Cook islands, I got from you. But I don't have an overview or the big picture. Can you possibly make a few posts now and then about it?

Hi Steve
All I know about pearling in the Cook islands, I got from you. But I don't have an overview or the big picture. Can you possibly make a few posts now and then about it?
Caitlin, the 'Pinctada Maculata' thread has been dormant for some months having promised more news from the Cooks when available. With the pending announcement of a new grading system (supposedly without mention of the term 'orient'!) and return to health of the Manihiki Lagoon following major hurricanes in the 90s and mismanagement in the early 2000s, the timing could be good. It also sadly seems that vestiges of natural poe pipi collection on Penrhyn have vaporized, which will at least result in complete focus on the blacks. The challenge is how to create a niche market distinct to the far larger Tahitian industry, while keeping Japanese and Chinese influence to a minimum.

I'll start a new thread by repeating this post under cultured pearls, and try to encourage independent contribution in addition to whatever comes my way. As I mentioned towards the end of Pinctada Maculata, I truly am not a paid PR agent for the Cook Islands!

Back