Trying my "pearl eye" on this one

FrenchPearl

Continuing to try to develop my "pearl eye". Here is another one I've decided not to bid on:
1 - If it's an akoya necklace, then... I don't want one
2- If it's a natural one, I already have one similar (although mine is a little smaller) and my pearl budget for the month is tapped out

My instinct tells me .... nothing! 50/50 . I see mostly rounds, a few off rounds, a couple of olive / barrel shapes. Luster seems medium, but the pearl dirty. Color seems quite uniform ....so my rationale say old akoya.
I'm also really intrigued by the clasp.

It's beginning of the century, 18 inches, 18k clasp with French hallmark, pearls from 0.2mm to 0.4/0.5mm, the vendor states them as cultured, but then say he does not know how to differentiate natural from cultured. starting price under $300.

What's your opinion ? instinct, rational and all

collier-enamel-clasp.jpgcollier-enamel-clasp2.jpg

I wonder if the pearls near the clasp have been replaced or added, as they are more of a blue color. Whatever it is, $300 would be a good deal. :)

don't tempt me ! I'm trying very hard to be good... and I need to save for a bigger natural one a few months down the road :)

Oh, but that clasp!!!!!! and from France too…. (not trying to tempt, just being a good cheer leader) :)

Looks like Akoya to me but I agree the clasp is gorgeous. But is it damaged. The photos seem to indicate this although it is not clear enough to be sure. The clasp is worth the money although enamel loses value fast with any damage. Still beautiful and so unusual.

Either there should have been another strand of pearls or the pearls are not original to the clasp. Pity.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Yes, it does look like a two-strand clasp. These things really make you wonder about its history. :)

Back