To knot, bead space, or bumpers- Oh My!

Abi

Sooo I am needing y'alls wisdom and experience!
I am new in making jewelry for myself, and after I had succeeded making earrings, and a tin cup (I think? Wire wrapped) tahitian pearl bracelet, I would like to try making myself a necklace.
I don't have enough to make a strand, but I have some lovely tahitians and 2 GSSP.
I'm still debating whether I'd like to space them out (tin cup), or keep them together-
but if I decide to put them together:

Would knotting, bead spacers, or bumpers be a way to go?
I've never knotted before, but I know Pattye's etsy is the way to go for some beader's secret.. I've read something about using bumpers (are they better?). I also have these small coral and Swavorski(sp?) beads I was thinking to put in between as well, but since my love for pearls are also new, I don't know which bead is okay to put next to a pearl, and which one would hurt it....

pearlproject41017.jpg

Please help me not hurt my pearls!

Abi

So...there are several considerations here.

1. With only enough pearls for a partial strand, if you group them all together, there won't be pearls going all the way to the clasp. Something will need to take up the space from the end of the row of pearls on either side to the clasp. You won't want a length of naked thread or beading wire, so what are you thinking of doing?
• Connect the pearls to a length of chain on each side, perhaps?
• Have a row of small stone (or other material) beads the rest of the way to the clasp?
• Drill a larger hole and string the pearls on leather cord, if you like that look.
• Or you could not enlarge the drill hole, string the pearls on thread or beading wire, and connect the thread to the leather cord on either end using special crimp ends made to be used with leather. Like these: https://www.riogrande.com/category/...-jewelry/end-bars-end-caps-and-separator-bars

2. Which stringing material to use for the pearls segment of the necklace.
• Serafil or Beader's Secret would be good if you don't use gemstone beads as spacers. Stone bead holes have rough edges that could cut through your thread in time.
• Flexible coated beading wire (like Beadalon) is good if you really want to use gemstones as spacers, but then you need to use a different sort of crimp to connect the pearls segment to the chain or leather. While there are some crimp beads that look more attractive than others, I don't really like seeing them in front, personally. Although these might not be so bad: scrimps crimp beads
• If you decide to have stone/other beads on either end of the pearls up to to the clasp, beading wire could work and the crimps would be in the back where they would not be seen.

3. knots vs. bumpers vs. stone, metal or glass spacers
• Knots lend flexibility, won't scratch your pearls and will keep them from being lost if the thread should break someday. For knots you would need to use thread.
• Silicone bumpers work fine with either thread or beading wire. They come in black, gold, white. They may help pearls not to get lost if the thread breaks.
• Gemstones as spacers may scratch your pearls over time, but less likely if the fit is snug and the beads are small. But I wouldn't use stones with thread, as explained above. Beading wire won't break so there is no fear of losing the pearls.
• Gold/gold filled/silver rondelle spacers or round bead spacers are less scratchy on pearls, and could be used with Serafil or Beaders Secret, but if the thread breaks, this sort of spacer won't protect the pearls from getting lost/scattering. Also, metal is still harder than nacre, and if it tarnishes may leave residue on the pearls. Not a problem with the dark pearls but maybe with the GSS.

All of that said, the risk of thread breakage is not high. I've never had thread break in use.
And beading wire may erode the drill holes' edges a little over time. I have not had this happen yet, though.

Make a sketch of what you would like the necklace to look like when done. It may help you figure out what to do with it.

Last edited:
Well PD was so reliably thorough that there really isn't much to add...
Personally I would use them in a tin cup..you have 11 and that's plenty to make a nice necklace. As you get more pearls you can work them in.

If you want them 'strung' then I would use chain.. say 6 inches on each side ( or however short you want it ) and you have about 5 inches(?) of pearls which you can string/knot and attach to the chain with some french wire..keep it short and it will hardly be noticed .

Pretty pearls - nice colour and lustre. I wouldn't use crystal beads...the pearls are nice enough on their own. Silver tarnishes and it's a pain to clean between the pearls. You could use some small Gold Filled beads ( keeping in mind all that PD said about metal) and GF chain and make the necklace I described with the gold beads and chain. ..you just crimp instead of French wire.

Thank you

Thank you

Hi Pearl Dreams!
Whoops, I forgot to mention that I was planning on using a chain since I don't have enough to reach the clasp :D, maybe the one above the row of pearls... probably may go for an easier chain to connect.

Thank you so much for giving me your expertise, you not only covered my concerns, but answered questions that would've arisen.

I really appreciate this!

So...there are several considerations here.

1. With only enough pearls for a partial strand, if you group them all together, there won't be pearls going all the way to the clasp. Something will need to take up the space from the end of the row of pearls on either side to the clasp. You won't want a length of naked thread or beading wire, so what are you thinking of doing?
• Connect the pearls to a length of chain on each side, perhaps?
• Have a row of small stone (or other material) beads the rest of the way to the clasp?
• Drill a larger hole and string the pearls on leather cord, if you like that look.
• Or you could not enlarge the drill hole, string the pearls on thread or beading wire, and connect the thread to the leather cord on either end using special crimp ends made to be used with leather. Like these: https://www.riogrande.com/category/...-jewelry/end-bars-end-caps-and-separator-bars

2. Which stringing material to use for the pearls segment of the necklace.
• Beader's Secret would be good if you don't use gemstone beads as spacers. Stone bead holes have rough edges that could cut through your thread in time.
• Flexible coated beading wire (like Beadalon) is good if you really want to use gemstones as spacers, but then you need to use a different sort of crimp to connect the pearls segment to the chain or leather. While there are some crimp beads that look more attractive than others, I don't really like seeing them in front, personally. Although these might not be so bad: scrimps crimp beads
• If you decide to have stone/other beads on either end of the pearls up to to the clasp, beading wire could work and the crimps would be in the back where they would not be seen.

3. knots vs. bumpers vs. stone, metal or glass spacers
• Knots lend flexibility, won't scratch your pearls and will keep them from being lost if the thread should break someday. For knots you would need to use thread.
• Silicone bumpers work fine with either thread or beading wire. They come in black, gold, white. They may help pearls not to get lost if the thread breaks.
• Gemstones as spacers may scratch your pearls over time, but less likely if the fit is snug and the beads are small. But I wouldn't use stones with thread, as explained above. Beading wire won't break so there is no fear of losing the pearls.
• Gold/gold filled/silver rondelle spacers or round bead spacers are less scratchy on pearls, and could be used with Beaders Secret, but if the thread breaks, this sort of spacer won't protect the pearls from getting lost/scattering. Also, metal is still harder than nacre, and if it tarnishes may leave residue on the pearls. Not a problem with the dark pearls but maybe with the GSS.

All of that said, the risk of thread breakage is not high. I've never had thread break in use.
And beading wire may erode the drill holes' edges a little over time. I have not had this happen yet, though.

Make a sketch of what you would like the necklace to look like when done. It may help you figure out what to do with it.

Ah! I saw the chain but thought you were not using that as the links are too small to connect.

Another option instead of crimps is to connect the pearls with simple wire loops (not tin cup style) and then loop onto the chain at the ends.

Hi Katbran!
Thank you so much for your advice as well, and you're right- I really didn't want to add anything else.
Now my concern is how long do I want to make my necklace... I usually wear a princess length, but with me wanting to enjoy the pearls, I may make it longer just so I can look down and enjoy their beauty as well... I will probably choose a chain that lets me adjust it to whatever length that's befitting for the occasion.

I've tried doing knots before and I always have a problem getting the knot close to the pearl. Do you think beader's secret and the silicone bumpers are overkill?

Well PD was so reliably thorough that there really isn't much to add...
Personally I would use them in a tin cup..you have 11 and that's plenty to make a nice necklace. As you get more pearls you can work them in.

If you want them 'strung' then I would use chain.. say 6 inches on each side ( or however short you want it ) and you have about 5 inches(?) of pearls which you can string/knot and attach to the chain with some french wire..keep it short and it will hardly be noticed .

Pretty pearls - nice colour and lustre. I wouldn't use crystal beads...the pearls are nice enough on their own. Silver tarnishes and it's a pain to clean between the pearls. You could use some small Gold Filled beads ( keeping in mind all that PD said about metal) and GF chain and make the necklace I described with the gold beads and chain. ..you just crimp instead of French wire.

Pearl Dreams,
Hahahahahaha they are pretty small huh? I was thinking of wire wrapping it to connect, but then I realized that I will most likely change it to a chain so I can adjust the length for different occasions.

Ah! I saw the chain but thought you were not using that as the links are too small to connect.

Another option instead of crimps is to connect the pearls with simple wire loops (not tin cup style) and then loop onto the chain at the ends.

Using both knots and bumpers together? Overkill.

Oh I was thinking bumpers only, no knots. My knotting is absolutely terrible at this time.
When you mentioned thread, would you suggest anything else besides beader's secret Pearl Dreams?

The only other thread I remotely like is Power Pro (which is a fishing line, and very strong.) The colors are limited though...white and moss green.

I've been hunting for a good photo of newberry's baroque akoyas which are wire wrapped with connecting loops, not tin cup style. I know there is a better photo somewhere but look at this for now, if you think you might like doing this instead of knotting:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...rings-to-match&p=179663&viewfull=1#post179663

I found the photo I was looking for.

If you were to make simple wire loops like those connecting the pearls to each other and to the chain, you would not need as long a length of chain on either side of the pearls.

It does take a bit of practice to make good loops, but you could practice with base metal craft wire (e.g. from Michaels). There are lots of YouTube videos that teach the technique of making wrapped loops.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...n-cup-necklace&p=141673&viewfull=1#post141673

Thank you PD for the link!
I MISS Michaels, The Craft wire here in Oahu is ridiculously expensive. I was able to snag a few at a great discount when one of the bead store locations closed. One of the pros in moving back to the states is to be closer to a more affordable craft store, cheaper groceries, and a better chance in attending a Ruckus. hahahaha.

Newberry's necklace is absolutely divine. I will definitely think about the wire loop design as a great possibility.

Pearl Dreams, I'd like to thank you again for your extensive explanations and links to help me with this project!

I found the photo I was looking for.

If you were to make simple wire loops like those connecting the pearls to each other and to the chain, you would not need as long a length of chain on either side of the pearls.

It does take a bit of practice to make good loops, but you could practice with base metal craft wire (e.g. from Michaels). There are lots of YouTube videos that teach the technique of making wrapped loops.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...n-cup-necklace&p=141673&viewfull=1#post141673

I think you're only about 5 pearls away from bracelet length (knotted)! I would collect a few more pearls or buy some round GF beads (Katbran has some great suggestions) and string into a bracelet.

Tin cups are also amazing! You could make a gorgeous necklace with the pearls you have.

If you decide on gold beads as separators, make sure they are real gold, and not gold colored beads. Any bead that tarnishes will discolor the pearls.

I'm seeing either a tin cup, or string them together at the front, add some chain on the sides and maybe a little tin cup action an inch or so up from the group strung together at the front. In other words, long chain, gold pearl, 1 or 2 inches of chain, several Tahitian pearls strung together, 1 or 2 inches of chain, gold pearl. long chain, clasp.

I can't possibly add to the excellent advice provided! Your pearls are lovely! Plz post photos when you're done!

Hi Hanadama!
You really know your pearl lengths for Jewelry! I'm still looking things up, and having to try it on before I know if I need more pearls or not!

I have my heart set on a necklace atm, I think I want to wire wrap a necklace and then go to knotting/stringing bracelets and necklaces...
I find knotting harder :p.

Thank you for your suggestion about the necklace! I just finished my experiment, I made take off a few pearls, or change out the chain... or maybe when I have more drilled pearls I'll keep adding! The world is currently my oyster, and I'm loving the pearls in it :D.

I think you're only about 5 pearls away from bracelet length (knotted)! I would collect a few more pearls or buy some round GF beads (Katbran has some great suggestions) and string into a bracelet.

Tin cups are also amazing! You could make a gorgeous necklace with the pearls you have.

Hi BWeaves!

Thank you for the tip about separators! I will definitely keep that in mind when I want to add gold beads as separators.

So that means sterling silver beads in between pearls are out of the question?

What's crazy is that your vision is actually a drawing I made last night after heeding PD's advice about sketching first!
I just finished the necklace maybe 7 minutes ago! Since it's my first time I may be adjusting length, pearl amounts, and etc.

To be honest.. (feeling embarrassed) I really need to look up what tin cup means. I will post the pictures of what I did, but if someone can give me the proper description on what I did I'll appreciate it!
If you decide on gold beads as separators, make sure they are real gold, and not gold colored beads. Any bead that tarnishes will discolor the pearls.

I'm seeing either a tin cup, or string them together at the front, add some chain on the sides and maybe a little tin cup action an inch or so up from the group strung together at the front. In other words, long chain, gold pearl, 1 or 2 inches of chain, several Tahitian pearls strung together, 1 or 2 inches of chain, gold pearl. long chain, clasp.

Thank you SunSeeker for the pearl compliment! I still have an amateur eye on pearls, but I had picked pearls that tickled my fancy.

I had mentioned to Bweaved and Hanadama that I just finished it! I may change the design once I've gotten better, this is the first necklace I ever made...
But I feel happy about it!
The GSSP are not in the front like I was aspiring, BUT I could always adjust :).

I can't possibly add to the excellent advice provided! Your pearls are lovely! Plz post photos when you're done!

So some pictures! It's turning into evening here so pictures are under florescent... also my first neck shot!

20170411_165800.jpg
20170411_165153.jpg

I'm pretty happy! To be perfectly honest, I am not sure what type of wire wrapping I did, I think it's the same thing Newberry had on the picture PD had posted here, but I added a ring in between because:
1) It was easier
2) I kept forgetting to connect them before closing the end.
Hahahahahaha, but it was a fun experience. I look forward to wearing it out and delighted I have a set!
I just have to re wire wrap my Tahitian dangles as they are currently on GF wire..
I can't wait to make more things!

Back