This is probably not Mikimoto, but...

mrsadm

I've been trying to educate my eye and judgment in identifying types of pearls from photos. I think this is an easy one, but what do I know? Would appreciate very much your comments:

Found this bracelet on ebay listed as "Mikimoto 8mm LARGE Pearl Bracelet 8" Long Sterling Clasp 16.8g Top Quality AA" with an asking price of $1,161.00:
miki bracelet ebay.jpg

It looks to me like new-ish freshwater pearls with an old clasp. (link here)

The first photo looks like it may have been over-sharpened in Photoshop. The best photo I think for judging the pearls is the one with a closeup of the clasp. They have some reflectivity but it seems to be fuzzy. The wire wrapping between the clasp and the two end pearls looks new. Also I don't see any knots between the pearls; I doubt if Mikimoto did that.

What do you think? Thanks for helping me learn!
Linda

I will leave the experts up to determining the pearls. I do see knots between the pearls though.

There are knots and it looks like it was recently restrung, or has a good tight stringing. The gimp on the ends is in good shape too. This is probably an older/vintage Mikimoto clasp (silver was very common in vintage Miki) and although those are nice pearls, I don't think those pearls are the "extremely fine quality AA" Mikis as the seller claims they are. However, it's very hard to tell by the photos and since I think some photos are edited, I'm not sure what to trust. The pearls in the hand don't look to have super luster and look a bit flat, but it could just be a poor place to take photos of a pearl. What is stamped under the M logo? I can't understand why a seller would sell a high priced item and not bother to have quality photos, or at least photos where the print is right side up.

Back