The Catacomb Saints would totally blend in the P-G club

cyndayco

As someone raised on Star Trek, I began following George Takei even before he joined Facebook. Today, he shared the link to this article on the Catacomb Saints.

The 1578 discovery of labyrinth-like tombs in a network beneath the city of Rome was a fascinating and somewhat baffling one. These tombs housed skeletons of early Christian martyrs who were believed to be saints on account of their bravery and unwavering loyalty to the Christian faith.

These skeletons were given the name "The Catacomb Saints" by those who first discovered them and were eventually distributed across Europe (predominantly Germany) to replace holy relics that were destroyed or stolen during the Protestant Reformation.

When the skeletons arrived at their destination, they were decorated with precious jewels, expensive cloth, crowns, armor, and even wigs. They were displayed in the churches so as to remind visitors of the riches that await good, loyal Christians once they die.

Among the precious gems that adorn the Catacomb Saints are loads of natural pearls. Head to Germany at warp speed!

5e828812-ea0c-4c1e-b7ac-c07a1a64d40f.jpg

Poor thing looks to be weighted down so heavily, and probably has a headache ... I'm with Cyndaco and George (of course :) ... Warp Speed to Germany for an intervention and pearl rescue ... I'll bring aspirin for the poor saint's headache :)

Cool photo, look at those gemstones as well, they are such gorgeous colours, umm they can't be all real... :D

Last edited:
Back