technical opinions please: metal against pearl

B

boo

Okay, my 14kt findings arrived and I have been working on the YG necklace, but now I am beginning to fret about the spacers. While the edges are nicely rounded, they still lie up against the pearls and I am wondering if that will be a bad thing as far as abrasion is concerned, especially with the corrugation on the spacers. I could substitute the daisy spacers but they are only gold-filled, which I presume is even harder than the 14kt. I really like the look of the spacers, but if the gold will be harmful, in this case I may go for safety over looks. (The pearls will be knotted, but the spacers are larger than the knots) I have never worked with gold before - too expensive - so I would appreciate any input from more experienced beaders. If it were any other strand of pearls I wouldn't fret as much, but since these pearls are pretty much irreplaceable, I don't want anything unfortunate to happen to them.

Also, I am trying to decide which set of pearls to use for the piece that will dangle down the front. Do you prefer the bright rainbow colors or the metallic pastels? The pastels are a bit washed out against the paper towel, but they are very pretty against my skin. Whichever I do not use with the necklace I will probably use as a stand-alone pendant or enhancer of some sort.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• exotics_1928.jpg
    exotics_1928.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 50
  • spacers_1931.jpg
    spacers_1931.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 43
  • closeup_1932.jpg
    closeup_1932.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 49
What a great strand of pearls! They are gorgeous.

Now, about spacers. The corrugated ones seem a little harsh against the delicate color of the pearls...(my humble opinion, of course). I think I would prefer the daisy spacers. Are they for you or for sale? If for you, don't worry about the gf. Otherwise, maybe you can order some in 14k. (Try CGM...)

In terms of spacers and safety, Care Ehret uses them all the time with Cortez pearls and other exotic things and doesn't appear to worry about damage. Also, fine jewelry stores sell pearls with diamond rondelle spacers regularly. For these reasons, I use spacers myself without fear. However, make sure you file down any rough edges.

I think high carat gold is softer than pearls- it is the gold that will wear in that case.

Why don't you try the tube spacers with some less valuable pearls- Make a bracelet and wear it for a while and see just what it does. I just did a pearl, bead, pearl bead necklace and the knotting actually keeps the beads from rubbing at the holes at all. With those tubes you might try a double knot if the hole in the tube is bigger than the knot.

I would use the daisies until I get a better idea. of how those tubes would work.

Yes, Care Ehret doesn't use anything under 20K...I guess that is the explanation for not worrying about the spacers. Hmmmm.

I can attest that even pure gold scratches pearls. It takes just a tiny bit of rubbing by hand (just did that, intrigued by the possible link between gold 'softness' and pearl damage)... probably weeks worth of spacer-on-pearl friction.

I like seed pearls (under 2mm) for spacers, but that means no knots... no safety against loosing pearls if the strand breaks. I am simply assuming pearl-on pearl is as safe as anything but the silk knots themselves. 'Could be wrong there.

PS.
Love the 'dangles' with contrasting sets of colors! Are they going to be earrings?

Hi Boo,

Just lovely! I slightly prefer the rainbow drop pearls. I think it will highlight the amazing colors on the pearls. Use the others for pendant or even earrings, although you may have earrings already that will work with your new necklace.

Caitlin, wasn't it Wes Rankin with the finished strands of naturals who had used the rough diamond beads as spacers? :eek: Didn't we do a double take at that? did we ask about it? Did you get a close look at those? I don't recall if they were knotted?

The spacers Carolyn uses are very small. I think about 2mm. It is difficult to find spacers that small in silver, I have tried to find daisies in 2mm, but 3.5mm is about the smallest I have found.

Has anyone ever actually had a strand of pearls break?

I am using the wire, crimp beads and spacers of some sort on my pearls, I will post some photos soon. I haven't worn them much, and haven't strung up my choicest pearls, like Tahitians, Sea of Cortez as yet.

I try to choose a spacer that will be relatively smooth and touch only very near the drill hole. Have used some vermeil, as that is gold over silver. The spacer needs to be of a shape that it will not restrict the drape of the strand, juust as the knot functions as a "joint" allowing that, we all know how tightly fitted the pearls are next to each other on the temporary strands.

I think this is a very useful discussion----thanks all---

Pattye
so many pearls to knot, so little time

Hi Boo,
Lovely pearls and I like both drops, but if pushed, I'd have to go for the darker one on the right.
Re. the beads - I've not used the corrugated beads, so I don't know what'll happen if you use them.
I was tempted to buy them for my necklaces, but went for the smooth beads instead.
So far, no signs of any wear or damage to the pearls - and I keep a very close eye on them for that reason.
One thing I have noticed is that the gold appears to turn the silk black. Don't know why that is....

Have you considered using 2mm gold balls as spacers -- these act like knots in giving flexibility to the necklace, while reducing the surface area in contact with the pearl -- and stringing onto 49-ply "professional" (26# break) Beadalon to reduce chance of breakage? I have done this with stone necklaces and have never had breakage yet.

I like the deeper colors for the pendant!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I will save the spacers for another project. Pattye, the fact that you are using it made me feel much better about my decision to go with the wire - I fret about the pearls not being knotted if it breaks, but I don't think it will. I am using 14kt crimps and those are so much more solid than the base metal - I was amazed.

So here is what I have so far. I ended up going with tiny quartz spacers. I tried small white rondels (on the lavender baby blanket) but they just didn't do much for me. I like how the quartz separates each pearl so the colors stand out, but doesn't compete with them at all. I may try gold bead spacers instead of the quartz - they may help unify the pearls with the clasp, since it is a focal point. Also, I threw on one of the dangles just for fun. I had planned on linking them with wire loops, but I kind of like the linear 'all-on-one-wire' look - it's a bit funky. So what do you guys think? Am I just a bit punchy from beading all day or does it work? (BTW, this is my first beading project in a while. I got LASIK a few months ago and the instant transition to reading glasses has been a challenge for me. I am sure it's better then trying to adjust to bifocals, but I do quite a bit of head bobbing trying to see what I'm doing) Also, I am twisted in the photo from trying to take the picture one handed :rolleyes:

Oh, Ana - the long dangles are for the necklace but I included the earrings I have made in the picture as well.

Also, where do you folks get your spacers? I got mine from coolbead, but she only has a couple of styles. Everyplace else I have tried only has gold-filled. silversea, what is CGM? I have a bit of trouble since I am the lowliest kind of beader (the sort without a resale license to get on the wholesale sites!)

Attachments

• exoticsIMG_1936.jpg
    exoticsIMG_1936.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 44
  • exoticsIMG_1935.jpg
    exoticsIMG_1935.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 59
I was on overload by the time we saw that necklace, but I think there is a picture of it on his website.
Here is my experience with rubbing.
Back in 2005, I was on an alternating-pearls-with-other-gemstones, kick. They are the first pictures in my show me your pearls thread. I alternated garnet and CFWP, Peridots and CWFP, rose quartz and CWFP, labradorite and CWFP, little CWFP and big CWFP, and more. I got all the pearls at Evergreen Trading company Roy Chen owner, for $3-$10 a strand, The pearls all had great luster but were eggy or button shaped- or nuggets.

I knotted the faceted garnet rondelles alternating with faceted white button pearls. I just went and got them from Kether. I don't see any damage to the pearls. The knotting seems to keep them apart so there is no rubbing. I just checked a stick abalone colored CFWP alt with small round dyed black CFWP. It is on wire. No wear that I can see there either.

What causes wear on the pearls? Rubbing, supposedly. When do they rub and where do they wear? Especially if they are knotted. I think it takes a lot of wearing the pearls to make wear marks on the pearls.

I know my pearls don't rub when they are put away because I hang them on separate pegs, all right in a row.

The best pearls from Pearl Paradise, I do not alternate with anything and I just knot. I also have a bunch of ropes I knotted- One from almost 3 years ago. No sign of wear.

You're design constraints are perfect. Since you asked I'll throw in my thoughts on the drops: I'd save the highly colored one for a stand-alone piece because the colors carry themselves so well; and use the pastel one with the necklace as the colors match perfectly. Have you considered making more than one necklace?
Whatever you do will be wonderful! How can you miss? You start out with great pearls, you end up with great pearls.
Hope you're having tons of fun.

barbie

P.S. Isn't it fabulous being a lowly, unlicensed beader? I would never have found PP or PG if I wasn't desperately looking for someone who would sell me pearls to bead with "my way".

pearldreams, the gold spacers do have a nice advantage: the lumen is large enough to slide over my knot if I use just a single strand of thread. That way I can use Powerpro and not have to worry at all about losing the pearls (although I really doubt that 14k crimp is going anywhere!) Hmmm - so do I rip apart the necklace (with the crystal on wire) to substitute the gold on PowerPro or just let it stay as is? (the picture shows a snippet of gold beaded pearls above the necklace with crystal) The gold beads are a more common look, but they do go nicely with the toggle...

Attachments

• crystalvgoldIMG_1938.jpg
    crystalvgoldIMG_1938.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 61
Hi Boo,

Love the the way the design is coming together! The earrings are terrific also!

Do I understand correctly--you are beading with only reading glasses? :eek: I can't see good enough with mine to do anything except read, so right away bought 3.25 readers, several pair, mind you, and I figure if it looks pretty good at 3.25x, it will look even better with naked eye!!

I have also used some very small silver spacer beads, I think about 1.3mm or so, thai silver type, I like them alot on the right pearls or stones. They string easily on .18 wire, and are not thin or flimsy.

My personal feeling with the wire is that the crimp is the weak point. If I have the right decorative bead, I tie one knot before the crimp and slip a coordinating bead with a large hole over it, then the crimp, then the clasp finding, of course.

Can't wait to see your final project. With the wire one can try lots of combinations to see what one likes best.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Beautiful Boo! I have some questions. Does your toggle have three rings or are you wire-wrapping the dangle onto the toggle? I personally prefer the darker pearls for the the dangle, but in person it may look differently. The dangle is pretty, but it's been done before. I would add a rondelle to the dangle just above the drop to add an element of surprise.

My experience with seed beads is limited. But don't they make 18KT and 22KT seed beads? I think they are lined in gold and all that would touch the pearls is the outer coating, whatever that is, plastic? Would that be as abrasive? How does the cost compare?

And thanks for showing the different spacer treatments. I love corrugated rondelles, but now that I see them with your pearls, the 2MM balls look better.

Last edited:
Hi Boo,
All variations are lovely, but, for me, the gold spacers in the last pic. really lift the necklace to a higher level.
They just kind of shout " hey, these are SPECIAL pearls". Which is exactly what they are.
I buy my gold beads from Bellafindings.

Debbie,

wonderful design with the toggle in front. I was thinking that you should use the darker dangle but even with the metallic one it would look fine and you would have the colourful dangle as a single pendant, which too would look great.:)

Pattye - yep, I'm using 1.50 glasses right now, but it occurs to me that picking up a pair of something stronger would be a really, really good idea. I'm confused - you said you tie a knot before the crimp. Do you mean in the wire? how do you get it to tighten down small enough for anything but an elephant bead? And doesn't it kink weird?

KP - the toggle is a standard toggle, so I am wrapping the dangle onto it. "It's been done"?!? Harsh, panda-gal, harsh...:p If I had a rondel I'd add it, just for you. Sadly, I have only a very limited supply of anything in gold and nothing that would give it any kind of kick. Or do you mean the daisies? I will play around with it some and see what I can come up with. I think it might be nice to get an enhancer-type bail (the kind that opens up) so that I could swap out the dangle as the mood suits me. Also, I may just switch over to my emergency back-up dangle for the necklace and go with Ana's idea to make the 2 dangles I showed into a set of show-stopper earrings. My short squat little neck wouldn't do them justice, but it could still be fun.

Sueki, thanks for voicing your support for the gold. I just noticed that I used gold bead spacers on my 3-pearl earrings - apparently my subconscious mind was way ahead of me!

Inge, isn't it great that despite my fussing, it's all good? Those pearls are so beautiful I can't help but end up with something pretty. I just wish you could see the pastel pearls in person. The colors are very subtle but amazing. The little lavender on top is an indescribable color that doesn't appear to exist solely in this universe, or at least in the color spectrum that my eyes are limited to. My eyes can't quite focus on it all the way out to the edge.

Okay - here is a bad photo of the dangles with daisies, a daisy and rounds, and nothing at all. Plus, the debut of the emergency backup dangle! I still am reluctant to use the daisies, however, for fear of abrasion, even on the limited surface area they contact. I may chill out in a day or two, but right now I am all about protecting the babies.

Attachments

• dropsIMG_1939.jpg
    dropsIMG_1939.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
We've talked about wearing different colored earrings - well, those multi-color drops would be awesome as earrings. On the other hand, I really like the way the necklace closes in front with the dangle.

Decisions, Decisions....;)

Sorry, Boo. Didn't mean to be harsh. Nothing personal intended. But I do think the plain dangle is rather ordinary for precisely the reason Sueki says, the gold kicks it up a notch. I like both of the dangles coupled with the gold. I like the enhancers Sueki purchases.

I think I like the bead with the single daisy best.

Back