Tahitians or not tahitians ?

You did the right thing researching before (or in your case, instead of) buying!

I wish more people who inherit pearls would come here to find out what they have before listing them.

So glad you did not buy them! I bought a similar strand brand new, advertised as dyed freshwater, online about five years ago for under $100 with a 14k gold clasp and free shipping. They are pretty but nothing like my real Tahitians. I don't wear the fwps anymore because the Ts are just so much prettier and bring me joy. The colors of T are very tricky because their surface is like a mirror and they pick up the colors around them very well.

mrsadm,
Here are my 2 strands of Tahitians and the FWP in the living room and in the bathroom (diffuse light, my back to the window; using Baby Nurse's method really brings out the colors). The dyed FWP are in the middle. You can see the differences better this way.

Attachments

• 3 strands in living room.jpg
    3 strands in living room.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2 strands in bathroom.jpg
    2 strands in bathroom.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 32
PD - Your last picture shows the differences the best. Those deep purples and blues on the center strand show up a lot in the dyed freshies. There is nary a pearl that color in the real Tahitian strands.

I agree, Red. Problem is, eBay sellers don't take their photos in the sort of lighting that makes it easiest to tell the difference.
The best way to avoid being scammed is to buy from reputable sellers.

Back