Tahitian strand

rskgt

Just got these. Bothered by this one pearl having a white area where its drilled

Attachments

• 1219191639.jpg
    1219191639.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 48
  • 1219191641_HDR.jpg
    1219191641_HDR.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1219191918.jpg
    1219191918.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1219191918a.jpg
    1219191918a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 43
Is the light area on the bottom (underside) of the pearl, as it's worn? If so, this would make it less likely to be visible when worn, since we generally look down on pearl necklaces rather than up at them. I can't see the pale area in this photo.

If the strand as a whole is well matched otherwise, and if the price was good, I might let it go. But if it really bothers you, you could return it.
The vendor may not be able to replace the one pearl because of matching.

I'll rotate your photo for you...

rskgt's Tahitian photo.jpg

Thanks for rotating the photo. Lol. I just joined this forum so I dont know how to do much. The pearls are AA+. Which im surprised with the amount of blemishes on some of the pearls. 18" 8-11mm I dont know if its a good price or not.

Each vendor has their own grading system, so it's hard to know what they mean by AA+. You'd have to see what that particular vendor has listed as their grading scale. One website I looked at said AA+ allowed one or two blemishes per strand of pearls.

But it if bothers you, return the strand. If you like the strand, see if the vendor can replace that one pearl.

Yea I noticed the different grading between vendors. I'll see what the wife thinks once I give them to her. I'm tempted to just make my own necklace for her.. Haha

The grading system can be very difficult to understand. Some use A some AAA and some AAAAA all for the same general grade. It's easier when you find a vendor you can trust and they know what you want. Often times one higher grade will be used in the front 1/3 and a lower grade for the rest. That's when you might see AAA/AA or something similar A/B . I'm surprised that they used that pearl in the necklace, if you paid a fair bit then I'd return it. If you go online and look at various necklaces of similar size and blemishing it should give you a general idea of a price range.

Honestly I'm gonna return this strand. Can actually see the white area while its being worn. Theres a couple pearls that have more blemishes than I expected.

I'm bought and returned several Tahitian strands before I finally found ones I liked. They are all unique and different, so go with your gut instinct. This strand will always bother you, so return it.

Honestly I'm gonna return this strand. Can actually see the white area while its being worn. Theres a couple pearls that have more blemishes than I expected.
I’m glad you decided to return it, if you’re not in love with the strand you can’t enjoy the beauty of the pearls.
Hope you find your perfect match!

Back