Tahitian? Or freshwater? Cairnspearls58, beware

Also, so a search for Tahitians -black, that removes all the freshwaters. Top down is the right way to search, I think.

One dead giveaway for dishonest people selling freshwaters as other kind of pearls, is they usually charge steep freshwater prices. I suppose if they really charged Tahitian prices, if would be different. As it is they still only pay a steep charge for what it is worth, with a lie, not 10-20x what it is worth, with a lie.

BTW
Cairn 58 stopped me from buying from him or subscribing to his newsletter, but he can't prevent me from putting his stuff on my WATCH list!

I wrote as well and asked why he was selling freshwaters as tahitians but he hasn't answered.
I tried report this listing but it only lets you report for fraud (of the nothing sent variety) and stuff like that. (or copyright) or I got it all wrong

At this price ($30k!) these should be real:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-15-17mm-T...S_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item2eb8f33d9f

But I'm not that keen on them, from that photo, they look a bit dull.

These are also real, I reckon? I don't know the seller but they look real (and nice, but I like circled pearls a lot)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-1mm-10-8m...855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519867b30f

$(KGrHqN,!lcE8L06wK39BPN)cmerpw~~60_3.JPG

The round strand seems expensive, and it seems incredibly tight to then charge $8 for the certificate from some unknown lab on top of that.
Pearl society is a reputable seller with honest pricing - sometimes bargains to be had in fact.

I can vouch for Pearl Society too. I bought from them few times. Excellent communication, great service, they are always happy to send more pictures... I never regretted a purchase I made from them.... and as Wendy said: sometimes you WILL get a bargain.... :)

Now we need someone from AUS to buy one of his singleton tahitians for $20. plus postage. That will be fraud.

Hey Cairnspearls58.

Be afraid.

Be afraid of whom you may sell to in the US, England or AUS. Anyone, upon receiving those fake baroque black Tahitians, will have real grounds for fraud.

Unless you put on each page, somewhere, that they are cultured freshwaters even if you don't say "grown in China"!

Remember, I can still "watch" any item of yours I wish to watch. I hope you begin dealing in an honest and responsible way.-well, forget that, but I hope you do include the truth in the small print, even as you do for the gold plating.

Last edited:
BTW I think the above pictured are fantastically beautiful, and a decent price. Jose from Tahitian pearls was selling one similar for about the same or less before Christmas! That is a super-rare necklace, but may get more popular, if it sells. I am so glad you pictured it here. It is really lovely.

Last edited:
He is pretty defensive, certainly.

I've not bought from the Pearl Society seller, but those circled pearls really do look lovely. That's why I added the pic (-:

Amanda

Those really large Tahitians are probably from the third seeding, and I've learned from previous discussions here, they don't have the great lustre the first harvest pearls do. Like the ringed pearls, too!

I don't know this dealer--but 15-17mm tahitian are extremely rare. You're right about 3rd seedings having lower luster, but if you find a strand that is that big and does have excellent luster, $30k probably isn't an unreasonable price at all. However, if I were going to spend $30k on a strand, I want to see the strand in person or--if that's not possible because of schedule or location--I would hire a qualified a appraiser from the vendor's area that can examine them and give me an independent assessment before purchase. Better to spend $500 on an examiner, than to buy a problem.

I have had communications with Pearl Society in the past and found them to be responsive and they have a good reputation. In then end, I haven't purchased from them because, even though they have an ok return policy. Dealing with shipping issues to and from HK is never fun--and if there is a problem for any reason, you have no meaningful recourse (aside from a bad review on ebay). I have also always been able to find US ecommerce retailers that offer similar products, at similar prices, without the hassels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do love those pearls, but sadly they are out of my budget. We've just moved house, and therefore curtains, bookcases et al are on our priority shopping list.

I have been there and will probably be moving again in a couple of years. Pearls can wait--for a little while anyway. But a nice freshwater strand might hold you over for a while if you need a fix for the addiction. :)

We bought our first place last year, and it needed new walls, floors, kitchen, bathroom, etc. And now we've moved in, we need bookcases and curtains for our MASSIVE windows (the living room window is 148 inches wide, and the bedroom windows are 130 inches wide, and that's an expensive lot of material).

So, sadly, pearls have to take their place in the financial queue, even Tahitian pearls.

I note that this seller hasn't rectified his dishonesty, instead he's added something along the lines of, "someone sold them to me as Tahitian". Pillock.

He is slippery, all right. I want someone to buy one of those from him. It will happen, then he will be vulnerable to fraud. I have him on my watch list. I am just going to watch....

I do too, Caitlin - but ?100 is quite a lot to drop on a few dyed freshwater potato pearls, innit?

this sort of problem is so common on ebay. to make matters worse. the people that buy don't know any better and then when they come across a real tahitian pearl pendant at a realistic price for a genuine tahitian pearl they think they are getting ripped off, when initially they were the ones ripped off.

Back