Stuff I Made

Here's a new necklace I made the other day. I ordered these pearls from Wen a couple weeks ago - "7 - 10mm Genuine South Sea Pearl Natural Golden Color." In reality, they are barely golden - more of a cream color, which I like and is better for my skin tone. I really like the variety of shapes in this strand and the luster is really nice. Some of the pearls have a rosy glow in the right light, which of course I was unable to capture with my phone's camera.

gss1.jpg

gss2.jpg

gss3.jpg

gss4.jpg

gss5.jpg

And just because I found it interesting, here's a photo of the same strand that I took with the flash accidentally on! I think it's interesting how different the colors of the individual pearls look here. In natural light and to the naked eye, they all look pretty much the same color.

flash.jpg

It's a pretty strand and the pearls have a nice luster. South sea pearls are sometimes difficult to order, especially from China, I find. I have bought champagne ones and then they were green, golden that was really white with a slight cream tone. It's good that this color looks better on you though the sellers ought to describe them better.

It's a pretty strand and the pearls have a nice luster. South sea pearls are sometimes difficult to order, especially from China, I find. I have bought champagne ones and then they were green, golden that was really white with a slight cream tone. It's good that this color looks better on you though the sellers ought to describe them better.

To be fair, the photos on Wen's page were very good representations, so I wasn't expecting these to be any darker. And when I got them in hand, I liked them immediately, which isn't always the case!

Incik,

Your new GSS strand is truly beautiful and lustrous; your knotting skills are excellent, too! For some reason I missed the 3 lustrous oval and drop strands from May; those are favorite shapes of mine also. Very cool how your camera picked up different depth of colors in the flash photo.

Many Gem Faire shows in the western US have been canceled, but a few are scheduled for later this year. Sadly, one of the best pearl vendors, (and friend to many of us) John Tu, passed away earlier this year. Wen has a good variety; I've ordered a few things in the past, mostly findings. Two small packages never arrived because of covid, and after 2+ months she kindly refunded my payment.

I've always wondered about the quality of Rio Grande's pearls. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Thank you, Pattye! You can guess where my knotting thread came from ;-) I love the Beader's Secret so much - it really makes it easy to knot. I did have to do this one twice (unusual for me). I couldn't pull the thread tight enough to make the clasp flush with the beads the first time because my arthritic hands have been bothering lately. Sigh. I'm only 56 and I fear my knotting days are already limited. :-(

I have seen other forum members get some really nice strands from Wen but the nicest ones always seem to already be gone when I look at her shop. I felt lucky to have snagged this one!

Incik, the SS strand is so pretty, with interesting shapes and nice luster. I like that creamy/light champagne colour.
I missed your earlier posts, but let me congratulate you on your lovely pearls and excellent knotting skills. I also have a strand of those golden rainbow pearls from Wen. I only got one and I wish I’d got more, they are so pretty.

Thank you, Syd! The color of those golden rainbow pearls is so interesting, isn't it? So changeable!

Overall, I'd say you have had great luck with your orders of Wen pearls. I love the colors. Sorry to hear about your Rio Grande pearls.:)

I've never heard of Stachura, Lady_Disdain - thanks for the tip :) What pearls do you normally get from them?

I don't buy pearls from Rio. I find them to be lower quality and expensive for the quality. Actually, make that I don't buy pearls or stones from Rio.

Have you tried Stachura? While more expensive than Wen, they have nice pearls.

I won't do it again, that's for sure!

Back