SS bracelet

meredith

Community member
Can it be a real South Sea necklace? The photo, maybe, is not good, but what is your opinion? The pearls are of 12 mm. It's for sale on the second hand site for 60 euro ....

Attachments

• 212979736-nieuw-prachtig-halssnoer-zuid-zeeparels-12-mm.jpeg
    212979736-nieuw-prachtig-halssnoer-zuid-zeeparels-12-mm.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I think they are freshwater bead nucleated pearls from what I see merideth ... how much is it being sold for?

Meredith,

Sorry to tell you, these are imitation pearls, often called South Sea Shell Pearls to confuse the buyer. They are a bead covered with pearlized paint of some sort. Some women enjoy wearing necklaces like this and some imitation pearls can be attractive. It is difficult to see the actual colors in the photo.

No genuine cultured South Sea pearls would sell for $75. Well, you might be able to find a single baroque South Sea Pearl for $75. Thank you for asking this question!

Thanks for your exhaustive answer, Pattie! Good to know it! I really didn't understand, it was difficult to believe, the price 60 € for that kind of necklace from SS pearls. Getting more educated!

You would not even get half decent round coloured bead nucleated freshwaters for that price. Even though the colours are mixed up, Pattye's right, fake pearls.
(which are usually about $10 a strand at that size so the price is about right)

Meredith,

Sorry to tell you, these are imitation pearls, often called South Sea Shell Pearls to confuse the buyer. They are a bead covered with pearlized paint of some sort. Some women enjoy wearing necklaces like this and some imitation pearls can be attractive. It is difficult to see the actual colors in the photo.

No genuine cultured South Sea pearls would sell for $75. Well, you might be able to find a single baroque South Sea Pearl for $75. Thank you for asking this question!

sorry , didn't see the 60 Euro ....

Pattye, Pearlescence, thank you for clearing it up... still learning over here too :)

Apart from the price being a dead give away, the colours are not right.

- Karin

On my screen, the image is showing some of the pearls with bronze and lavendar tones, which you would not see in a South Sea pearl

Back