Southsea Pearl vs Edison Pearls

I hope London pearl would clarify, rather than require us to travel to the shows for a chat Thank you.

We have decades of experience with South Sea pearls - the same can't be said for Edison pearls.... Caveat Emptor.

I find that the difference is much more obvious in person than in pictures. There is something about the nacre quality that makes freshwater pearls (even metallic ones) have a different look to them than WSS or Akoya pearls. Freshwater nacre looks almost transparent to me - like soap bubbles, while saltwater nacre seems more solid looking somehow. It's hard to describe, but I can easily tell the difference between my WSS pearls and my metallic freshwater ones, even in the same sized round studs. The FWP white color is also warmer and less silvery. More of a winter white.

Yes, I know what you mean! SSP nacre seems more solid somehow.

Here is what I'm wondering about Edisons: Are they being heated/ cooled as other FWP are to tighten the nacre and increase luster?
And if so, might the luster diminish over time?

Well I'm going to find you at the HK show and see what the 'longevity ' issue is. . I'll report back !

Would be happy to meet you .... or anyone else from this forum to discuss this further....I am in the "Airport" show stand 1E38 - please note our stand is closed on Saturday in all our shows.

Now I'm all curious. Katbran looking forward to your investigative report ;)

Now I'm all curious. Katbran looking forward to your investigative report ;)

Not to put any pressure on you, Katbran, but I am also curious! Wish I could attend a show. They just don't travel to my neck of the woods.

Not to put any pressure on you, Katbran, but I am also curious! Wish I could attend a show. They just don't travel to my neck of the woods.

True - I don't get to Texas ... but I did exhibit in JCK Las Vegas a few weeks ago .... and for a Londoner that feels quite close!

I'm happy to post some photos from the show! The security is very tight and isn't keen on sweeping photos but it's possible to grab some ... hopefully before they grab me ! I might be sending you photos from the inside of the Security Room. Many vendors are happy for photos - it's the actual Jewellery companies that sometimes object..worried about their designs being copied. Being HK you could probably snap a photo of some earrings- take the train into Kowloon proper and have them knocked out in a day lol

Ok, This the Ming necklace from Wendy of Pearlescence. 13 mm to 15 mm.

MIng Necklace.jpg

This one is of my edisons. One of them has fantastic lustre. A pink glow in low light but it is actualy white.

Edison 15 mm.jpg

This one is my edison from Wendy 11 mm to 13 mm.

Edisons.jpg

The edison necklace has better surface and lustre but the Ming wins with size. I am not sure about longevity. I just read that quality of nacre corresponds with lustre, so I think the edisons maybe not too bad. Enjoying these ones at the moment.

Just a note: I feel as if this is not the right place for the pictures of these freshwater pearls but we were discussing SSP vs Edisons so I thought to post what I just bought. If it is not the right place, please let me know. I can move it to the cultured pearls section or something like that. These pictures have not been posted to prove that SSPs are not good. Just I am at the moment going through an edison phase. I saw a Southsea strand today. Beautiful white with pink glow. Am very tempted to get it.

You started this thread so it seems like a natural place for the photos!

If you decide to buy the SSP, post photos please-- "white with a pink glow" ...they sound delectable. :)

Ok, This the Ming necklace from Wendy of Pearlescence. 13 mm to 15 mm.

View attachment 54270

This one is of my edisons. One of them has fantastic lustre. A pink glow in low light but it is actualy white.

View attachment 54269

This one is my edison from Wendy 11 mm to 13 mm.

View attachment 54268

The edison necklace has better surface and lustre but the Ming wins with size. I am not sure about longevity. I just read that quality of nacre corresponds with lustre, so I think the edisons maybe not too bad. Enjoying these ones at the moment.

I hope you enjoy them for many years to come .....the only question is - will they be this lustre and colour in 10 or 20 years time?

I don't know if they will last 20 years. I am having fun with these ones as I can wear them everywhere.

What do you think? Will they last 20 years? It would be great if you could clarify. Thank you.

I suppose only time will tell. I don't know of any way to test it.

Ah yes .... I have pearls from the first few years of harvest .... I suppose you could say I have some vintage Edison pearls .... As I said earlier in the thread .... happy to discuss this in person with anyone at any of my shows .....

I hope you enjoy them for many years to come .....the only question is - will they be this lustre and colour in 10 or 20 years time?

What do you think? Will they last for 20 years? It would be good if you could clarify.

What do you think? Will they last for 20 years? It would be good if you could clarify.

That is a very fine question. I don't believe anyone knows for sure. I think I have much longer experience with these pearls than nearly anyone else in the market. I have pearls from the very first few years of harvest ..... are they an accurate indication?

Back