South Sea Pearls??

Guys, look at all the other auctions.

The seller is a fraud. Every one of his auctions is fraudulently represented and the same story is told with every piece. The pearls are all Chinese freshwater pearls, including your necklace.

Haha, yes i see all his auctions now.
WoW what a big Fraud !
Real nasty seller.
Should be black listed !

Ditto what Jeremy said. This person is a total fraud. The same spiel on every listing~

"THEY ARE 99% FLAWLESS. RARE AS THEY WERE CUSTOM MADE FOR A LADY FROM THE ISLAND OF MAUI OVER 60 YEARS AGO. THE LUSTER IS VERY GOOD. EACH PEARL HAS IT OWN PERSONALITY. THEY HAS A DEEP SEEDED GLOW TO IT AND A NICE RICHNESS. PEARLS ARE A GIFT FROM THE SEA AND I CALL THEM A MODERN DAY HEIRLOOM. ALL MY PEARLS COME FROM ESTATE SALES." Blah, blah, blah~

Agreed.

Ljdubya,

Have you reached out to the seller? Most of the time when a seller has been caught they will say "this is what I was told when I bought the pearls." That can't be the case with this seller. He has way too many auctions and he is calling all the pieces estate and giving the age and so forth. The problem is, every part of the story is untrue. The pearls can't be as old as he is claiming, and he can't have been deceived as many times as he has been. He is knowingly selling Chinese freshwater pearls and knowingly committing fraud. It's unfortunate that so many sellers can get away with in on eBay where there is zero oversight. That wouldn't last long with a website or a real store.

What a community!

I have not yet reached out. I was going to need the assistance of my wife to return the item when the time came (home bound due to health). She was also getting concerned because I was being so secretive and looking a little distracted. I decided to show the pearls to her and explain the situation. She took them with a huge smile, clutched them closely, and told me that she didn't care if they weren't what I thought I was ordering. She told me she didn't want me to try to return them, that she loved the strand and wanted to keep them. So... I doubt I will pursue a return, though I still do not like the fact that I may have been (was) duped.

There was a request of a photo of a drill hole. I've attached a couple other photos taken today with my camera (first ones were with my phone). The first two are under natural light and the last is outside, though overcast and not much sun.

SoC Douglas 2SoC 050DSC07519sun.jpg

Interestingly, they look yet a subtle different color variation today. LJW

You've got a good lady there! Don't be hard on yourself either. The seller has unblemished feedback so he has duped just about everyone who has purchased from him, which appears to be about a thousand people. You might be the first that suspected he was duping people, so that makes you one out of thousand in that respect. You definitely should call him on his game though, and send him a link to this thread.

Good to hear I am not alone in thinking they are not South Sea Pearls, but cultured fresh water pearls, and confirmed by the close up pics of the pearls that their quality is rather poor.

DK :(

Just had a look at the seller's other listings, with many CFWPs being listed as SSPs or Akoyas, WTF???!!!

DK :eek:

I don't blame your wife for thinking you are a wondeerful man to be giving her pearls :)

What you might do is look at some of the reputable on-line stores (all links from posters here are good) and see what else you might be able to get for your money. There's some preeeeety good freshwater pearls around as you will discover if you read this. That way you can hit the seller where he deserves to be hit and get your wife even better pearls for the same money. Because as it is now you will probably always cringe a bit when she wears them because you'll remember you got cheated.

And we'll all be happy to help you find the perfect pearls for your wife if we know what you're looking for :) In fact, we are exceptionally good at spending other people's money :D

- Karin

PS

Checking the seller on toolhaus.org (http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=jewelsearthjewels&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home) we get an idea about what kind of response to expect... Not exactly coprative...

In general, if you want to complain on eBay, make sure you keep copies of mails. Decide if you want to settle for a partial refund (which the seller may or may not offer), and if not, ask for a full refund as well as return postage as the item is not as described and it really should not cost you that they are dishonest. If the seller won't deal with it you file an eBay case.

The return postage is more of an issue, though, if you deal overseas. I can see that you have a US-based seller and they offer a full refund if you are not satisfied. Really, you should spend long, happy evenings with your wife browsing all the lovely pearl sites, trying to decide exactly what she should have...

- Karin

So, I discussed it with my wife, and I persuaded her to allow for a return, with the promise of an even-better replacement once this gets settled. I've sent the initial notification that what I got is not what I ordered, and requested resolution. We'll see how it goes. Thank you to everyone who has been so kind and helpful.

Good on you Lester, please return them. Even for the quality of Freshwater you paid to much and yes you simply have been lied too!

I am still in love with that GREEN South Sea Baroque Pearls though :p

daveTT

No i am a german but my name as far as i know originates from norway ;)

We just have purchased several big lots of beauties and might have also a few pairs ready soon.

You are very welcome to PM me :)

The seller is in the USA (california)apparently.WHere are you Lester? I hope you paid by paypal, in which case simply raise the dispute with them and don't even bother to go thorugh eBay. Paypal will simply refund all your money, and if there is a quibble refer anyone quibbling to this thread.
Be sure to leave clear and unambiguous negative feedback though

The seller already responded. He has refunded my money and told me to keep the strand I had received as a "gift." He apologized and stated that his wife was helping him and must have sent the wrong ones. The money is already back in my account, and now it's time to move on and look for that perfect strand. Thanks again everyone.

Good to hear the speedy resolution by the seller. It may seem a generous gesture to let you keep the strand, however, one should bear in mind that clasp probably cost a lot more than the pearls!

And yes, PGers are very good at spending other people's money! Just let us know what you are looking for, and estimated budget you are prepared to spend, and we'll do the rest.

Happy replacement buying for your wife.

DK :)

The seller already responded. He has refunded my money and told me to keep the strand I had received as a "gift." He apologized and stated that his wife was helping him and must have sent the wrong ones. The money is already back in my account, and now it's time to move on and look for that perfect strand. Thanks again everyone.

Wait just a minute! He blamed it on his wife??? At least we know how his feedback has remained at 100%. When people buy, who realize they've been duped, he tells them to keep the pearls as a gift.

Did his wife write all the descriptions and take all the photos? Every pearl auction, past and present, are fraudulently represented.

I think this might be the first. I've never seen a seller blame their wife here before:p

I think this might be the first. I've never seen a seller blame their wife here before:p
Ha ha, we are taking notes, and some of us have very long memories! Just hope we don't have to remind you what you have said in future!

DK :D

Back