Gem Grade Flawless pearl with excellent luster
Pearl exhibits no inclusions or imperfections prior to setting or drilling

AAA
Flawless on at least 90% of pearl?s surface
Only 10% of pearl?s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Only a single deep inclusion allowable
Pearl should drill or set clean to virtually clean
Luster very high to excellent*

*South Sea pearls are known for their warm, satiny luster which does not typically exhibit the same reflective qualities of other cultured pearls.

Thank you kelluvpearls. The pearls are untreated (not coated & not dyed). I do sometimes get treated pearls, but I disclose that when I'm selling them.

Btw, have you decided what to do for the pearl earrings?

Thank you kelluvpearls. The pearls are untreated (not coated & not dyed). I do sometimes get treated pearls, but I disclose that when I'm selling them.

Btw, have you decided what to do for the pearl earrings?

I am keeping them. I should not have mentioned the scratch in the first post as my objective (in my mind) was to know whether these have good luster for AAA pearls, but the way I phrased the question makes people think the scratch was the main concern (it was a concern but not as much if these pearls are shiny enough), then after a few replies I confused myself and got all emotional and picky over the scratch.
This thread was really useful to help to develop my eye for SS pearl, so I am glad I posted. I think my pearls look pretty gorgeous.

Glad it's all worked out, and the thread helped with that

enjoy them !

:cool:

Thanks again everyone. I wasn't going to post, but after seeing the thread about the Hanadama pearls, and how Caitlin could differentiate between the difference in quality from the photos there, I must post to get her opinion. I have received more objective and useful comments from the knowledgable PG members than I hoped for. One day maybe my pearls eyes will be developed enough that I don't need post threads to ask for help.

I can be pretty darn nitpicky, so I understand your concern, but my first impression was, wow - what wonderful pearls! Most people would only notice how beautiful they are, so I think you're going to enjoy them now that you have reasoned it out. :cool:

Some photos were taken at the ruckus with a string of naturals, a strand of SS, untreated hanadamas, a metallic freshwater and something else. Anyway, when it gets posted, you will get a chance to guess which one is which. It will not be easy- except for the first two I named.;)

Caitlin, I'm so glad that photo will be posted. I need all the help I can get in sorting out the differences in the pearls..often I don't see the difference until someone points out the 'the one on the right is better' and then go back and have another look...then the difference starts to become apparent. I have two strands of pearls that arrived the other day and I'm going to post them cause for the life of me I can't see the difference...and one is 4x the price of the other LOL ! I need expert eyes on them I think !!!

Gemgeek- thank you, and I need to increase my pearl knowledge so it matches my pickiness level.
Katbran-thank you for your compliments, and I totally agree with you @ post #30.
Caitlin - I'm looking forward to the photos, pearl eye candy and educational as well!

For some reason the reply with quote feature isn't working.

Anywho, alot depends on how you photograph the pearls (staging, white balance, good macro focus), and under what lighting conditions. If the question is how to make the pearls glossy, using cotton cosmetic pads wipe them down with some pearl cleaner, followed by distilled water, and then a drop of mineral oil or silicone oil, then buff lightly with a cotton cloth.

Different kinds of pearls have different kinds of gloss based on the ratio of diffuse/specular reflectance, and how the diffuse reflectance is formed. Akoya's and tahitian pearls tend to be the most glossy. While SSP's have a somewhat satiny appearance, and straight freshwaters tend to be somewhat chalky (although now adays they are breeding the mussels/selecting FW pearls to produce a more Akoya like luster.).

Just a suggestion, although you seem to be resolved about the scratch. You could ask for a reduction in price and some of your money returned because of the scratch...
I think they look great, and I really like that setting - are those clips?

For some reason the reply with quote feature isn't working.

Anywho, alot depends on how you photograph the pearls (staging, white balance, good macro focus), and under what lighting conditions. If the question is how to make the pearls glossy, using cotton cosmetic pads wipe them down with some pearl cleaner, followed by distilled water, and then a drop of mineral oil or silicone oil, then buff lightly with a cotton cloth.

Different kinds of pearls have different kinds of gloss based on the ratio of diffuse/specular reflectance, and how the diffuse reflectance is formed. Akoya's and tahitian pearls tend to be the most glossy. While SSP's have a somewhat satiny appearance, and straight freshwaters tend to be somewhat chalky (although now adays they are breeding the mussels/selecting FW pearls to produce a more Akoya like luster.).

To get reply with quote to work, double click on it.

Where did you get that quote about freshwaters being chalky?

Nowadays, you rarely see chalky; even on the cheapest ones, the luster is often amazing. I haven't seen chalky for more than 5 years.

The last part of the statement is correct: they are using an f1 generation hybrid to get the extreme luster that is appearing everywhere. Maybe they will be able to set the exact traits they want from the hybrid, as they do with purebred dogs, but right now it is a hybrid.

Hyriopsis cumingi: Triangle shell mussel native to China, used extensively in cultured freshwater pearl production.

Hyriopsis schlegeli: Biwa pearly mussel native to Japan, used to produce tissue-cultured freshwater pearls in Lake Biwa. Also used in China since the mid-1990s as a pure species and as a hybrid with Hyriopsis cumingi. pearl-guide.com glossary of pearl terms

Reply with Quote hasn't worked for me in several months now. I just tried again today. And I really do miss it!

it's not so much a double click, as two single clicks in fairly quick succession....

same for 'edit' of posts

Reply with Quote hasn't worked for me in several months now. I just tried again today. And I really do miss it!

I had the same issue but double-clicking on it solves the issue for me as well.

Back