Sources for high quality CFWP loose/temporary strands

The true meaning of a hank is several strands together. We often refer to a temporary strand as a hank, however. There is no exact number that everyone adheres to. The most common I have seen are 5 and 10 strands. But you can always as for a hank of 3 strands, or a hank of 4. It does not really matter.

Okay, here's my update.

I received the pearls from China (eBay seller jewellerywork). They were listed as AAA 7-8mm round.

They are really pretty, very smooth surfaces without any noticeable flaws. The two strands I received were graduated from smaller at the ends to larger in the center. The seller said this is the usual way that they are sold.

My only real concern is the shape. They are not 100% round. I am wondering what grade these pearls are in actuality. I understand that there are pearls that are "round to the eye," but so slightly off-round that it can only be determined using some sort of measuring device. These pearls are "round to the eye," but I can see that they aren't entirely round if I hold the strands in my hands and study them pretty closely.

Anyway, I'm happy with my pearls. I paid $69 per strand plus $10 total for shipping. I think this is a good price. Also, the seller was very responsive. I asked a lot of questions, and in fact, he only listed this item in response to my request.

That's all I can think of.

Nicole

Round shape is truly subjective from person to person, and AAA is entirely subjective between suppliers. But if the pearls appear to be very round to you, and the surface is clean, you did a fine job. The quality sounds quite good.
The graduation is normal as well, but should only be around 1mm from the ends to the center.

Thank you for the update, Nicole. I've been wondering about you. Of course, when you get your rosary completed, you're going to have to post pics, you know. :)

Nicole said:
My only real concern is the shape. ...These pearls are "round to the eye," but I can see that they aren't entirely round if I hold the strands in my hands and study them pretty closely.

That sounds like 'round' to me, for what that matters: different thing for pearls (all nacre ones, be they freshwater of natural saltwater), than in a geometry book. Obviously, a description is just a description and I may imagine something different than you are seeing.

Case in point, I think ('round' naturals, not terribly large)

IMO, slight deviations in shape show more in a picture (2D) - for better or worse, so pictures make good (= harsh) examples.

To put it another way: I would think that pearls are really round when they roll easily on six out of eight directions (four axis at 45 degrees between them, in the plane of the drill hole). A bit awkward 'definition', but the only that comes to mind. They might stumble a bit on the shorter diameter (usually the one along the drill hole), and still be 'round' in my book. This... coming from a someone who does not really insist on pearls being round.

Just an opinion :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
My pearl mood fluctuates with the weather. Right now I'm in my all-pearls-must-be-round mood. Round vs. not so round can be disguised. Round pearls knotted individually show their roundness in extraordinary ways. Not so round pearls can be knotted in random symmetry which disguises their potato shape and gives them that Japanese designer quality. Adapt-a-pearl-ability.

Hi knotty
You Must provide examples! Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any examples of your stringing results, unless you were the one who used a scanner?

Anyway, tell me where they are. I want to get some pictures in my mind of your work....

Well, I've got a Knotty Panda Pieces in Show us your Pearls. And a bracelet I knotted in the spice pearls thread. The bracelet is scheduled for demolition. In fact, that's precisely what I'm talking about with random symmetry. The temporary strands in the spice pearls thread are called "rounded" but when I knotted the bracelet, it was so obvious they weren't round and the knot between the pearls just accentuated it. I didn't care for them. So when I did the necklace, I did random symmetry and I like that much better. The bracelet I'm going to pull apart and do the same way.

Yup, hunka-hunka's mine. My stuff: Picture mounds and mounds of Swarovski pearls in all the colors in single strands happily knotted with matching bracelets. As far as pearls go, I have a strand of SS white, a strand of PP SSG, and a couple of strands of beading quality FWs. The rest of my stuff is beads and chain maille. Someday I'm going to start a "Show us your Beads!" thread.

Back