Some opinions welcome…

barbaradilek

I’m posting some images of a sample 3 pearls from a long necklace I have.There are candled pics and exrays ,Thanks for your help..

Attachments

• 459DE51C-4ADA-44E2-9C07-CAF1DA259639.jpeg
    459DE51C-4ADA-44E2-9C07-CAF1DA259639.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • 675D9E25-DA43-4A0C-9E66-5DDC6F89BD6D.jpeg
    675D9E25-DA43-4A0C-9E66-5DDC6F89BD6D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 2A9B70B0-E275-40CB-9F79-045D86816ED1.jpeg
    2A9B70B0-E275-40CB-9F79-045D86816ED1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • 096EA88B-9822-4B6D-A8AB-A28C6E1BAAC4.jpeg
    096EA88B-9822-4B6D-A8AB-A28C6E1BAAC4.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 101
  • 01426DE9-17A4-4DEB-8E00-8F72503F711C.jpeg
    01426DE9-17A4-4DEB-8E00-8F72503F711C.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 16D64316-FE9E-455F-9A17-10E38DB22D98.jpeg
    16D64316-FE9E-455F-9A17-10E38DB22D98.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
They look like all-nacre cultured freshwater pearls. The spiky one is sometimes called a "rosebud" or "druzy" pearl.

Non-beaded freshwater pearls.

Thank you for your opinions! Out of curiosity,can you tell me how one can distinguish between a natural non nucleated freshwater Pearl and a non beaded freshwater Pearl.? Iv googled but only found differences between freshwater and salt water nuclear ion.

Thank you for your opinions! Out of curiosity,can you tell me how one can distinguish between a natural non nucleated freshwater Pearl and a non beaded freshwater Pearl.? Iv googled but only found differences between freshwater and salt water nuclear ion.
打开手机的手电筒并将其平放在桌面上。拿一颗珍珠并将其放在手电筒的灯光上方。如果珍珠的光泽有明显的断裂或中断,则它是有核珍珠。如果光泽清晰半透明,则为无核珍珠。有核珍珠和无核珍珠都被视为真珍珠;然而,只有无核珍珠被研磨成细颗粒后才能用于生产珍珠粉

打开手机的手电筒并将其平放在桌面上。拿一颗珍珠并将其放在手电筒的灯光上方。如果珍珠的光泽有明显的断裂或中断,则它是有核珍珠。如果光泽清晰半透明,则为无核珍珠。有核珍珠和无核珍珠都被视为真珍珠;然而,只有无核珍珠被研磨成细颗粒后才能用于生产珍珠粉
Translation:
Open the flashlight on your phone and place it flat on the table. Take a pearl and put it above the light of the flashlight. If the pearl's luster shows obvious breaks or interruptions, it is a nucleated pearl. If the luster is clear and translucent, it is a non-nucleated pearl. Both nucleated and non-nucleated pearls are considered genuine pearls; however, only non-nucleated pearls can be ground into fine particles to produce pearl powder.

It isn't possible to make a definitive determination without the assistance of a lab. They use X-radiography and X-ray computed microtomography to look inside the pearl. Cultured non-beaded will typically have a cavity in a sort of squiggly, moustache shape. This is absent in natural pearls.

Your pearls could be naturals, even though they look very much like Chinese freshwater cultured pearls. If you're confident of the provenance, it might be worth getting them tested. If it's just a suspicion based on the shape, it's safe to assume they are cultured.

如果没有实验室的帮助,就不可能做出明确的决定。他们使用 X 射线照相术和 X 射线计算机显微断层扫描来观察珍珠的内部。培养的非珠状通常具有一种波浪形的胡须形状的空腔。这是天然珍珠所不具备的。

您的珍珠可能是天然的,尽管它们看起来非常像中国淡水养殖珍珠。如果您对来源有信心,可能值得对它们进行测试。如果只是基于形状的怀疑,可以肯定地认为它们是经过培养的。
抱歉,这是根据最简单的方法来鉴别珍珠是有核还是无核的,当然鉴别珍珠最正确的方法就是去鉴定机构实验室判断珍珠是否有核或无核

Jeremy you are a star! Thank you so much for finding the videos of natural and non nucleated freshwater pearls,much appreciated.I bought the necklace from a lady in Tennessee,who sold them as antique/vintage freshwater pearls.There are 3 different types of Pearl on the strand,and they correspond with types of American natural pearls that were photographed in a southern magazine called Gun and Garden( no I didn’t make it up!) in an article about a jeweller who uses old pearls to fashion unusual rings and pendants.The fact that each Pearl has a much smaller one between made me wonder if it was to make the bigger pearls go further…It might be that someone has purposely found Chinese pearls resembling American naturals and made a necklace to deceive,but I will enjoy them anyway. The other thing that Is different about them,is some of the rosebud pearls have a strange lustre,it’s like powdered glass,minutely gritty looking,Iv never seen that before.Iv tried to photograph it but it didn’t pick up the detail.Thanks too to our new member,and the info about the flashlight test,and the translation.

Hey Barbara! Glad you are enjoying those pearls! Would love to see this visual effect you are describing.

We have some info on Keshi pearls (Jeremy already sent you the article) that shows the image of a keshi pearl cut in half, displaying that "moustache" shaped interior: https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/keshi-pearls.449271/
And another one about "candled pearls" that was started by Dave @Lagoon Island Pearls that is also superb!
Right here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/candled-natural-pearls.5718/

抱歉,这是根据最简单的方法来鉴别珍珠是有核还是无核的,当然鉴别珍珠最正确的方法就是去鉴定机构实验室判断珍珠是否有核或无核
Translation:
Sorry, this is based on the simplest method to distinguish whether a pearl is nucleated or non-nucleated. However, the most accurate way to identify pearls is to take them to an authentication laboratory to determine whether they are nucleated or non-nucleated.

@Enigma Lumin
这个问题是如何确定珍珠是天然的还是养殖的。如果珍珠是无核的,要确定它是否是养殖的可能会很困难,因为无核的珍珠与天然珍珠非常相似。
(The question is how to determine whether a pearl is natural or cultured. It can be difficult to determine whether a pearl is cultured if it non-nucleated because a non-nucleated pearl is very similar to a natural pearl.)

Translation:
Sorry, this is based on the simplest method to distinguish whether a pearl is nucleated or non-nucleated. However, the most accurate way to identify pearls is to take them to an authentication laboratory to determine whether they are nucleated or non-nucleated.

@Enigma Lumin
这个问题是如何确定珍珠是天然的还是养殖的。如果珍珠是无核的,要确定它是否是养殖的可能会很困难,因为无核的珍珠与天然珍珠非常相似。
(The question is how to determine whether a pearl is natural or cultured. It can be difficult to determine whether a pearl is cultured if it non-nucleated because a non-nucleated pearl is very similar to a natural pearl.)
I'm sorry, what I said is only to help her understand whether the pearls are nucleated or non-nucleated, and there is no way to help her understand whether the pearls are natural or cultured. After all, most of them are cultured now, except for some special pearls

Back