Some of Satine de la Courcel's pearls

some more stuff

some more stuff

Been busy doodling with peal creations again, nothign too fancy though. Just needing to keep my hands busy and mind occipied.

Some bracelets, I apologize the lighting is not the best I remembered at 4am I needed to take pictures before these gifts were given. here are some fresh waters and garnets

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmore bracelets all in all I made 60 various types of braclets with Garnets, seed beads, The large orange "beads" in one picture are coral .

Some necklaces and other stuff

The neckalce on the bead board is a special request for a friend to wear with her 16th Century Ottoman Turkish outfit. She just asked for a "long necklace of perls that woudllook good" another friend made the outfit and even though we did not plan it the outfit and necklace compliment each other perfectly! This necklace ended up beign 85" when done. I used 6mm potato pearls, dyed red 7mm potato shapes, 8mm green Adventurine and 3mm Amber stones for accents. After vacation I have "order"s from my husband, mom and several friends to make myself one.(yes there is a story there. )

The "Treasure chest of pearls are twenty one, 16" 6mm pearl neclaces (complete with knots between each pearl) made for a specific medieval Mournament held the end of June called Rose Tournament . I was contacted and asked if I woudl make something special as "THE" focal piece for the ladies of the rose gift baskets. What better than pearls.

The veil was also a gift (for the same friend) as the necklace who wanted one beaded edged silk veil. beign the over achiever I sometimes am, I gave her three of them two with glass beads and surprise surprise, being a true "pearlaholic" I could not resist one not doing one with pearls.

Okay think I am done now. back to finishing my garb for Vacation.

cheers
Ash

Wow, Ash! Are you going to sell some to other Elizabethan reenacters?

What a great collection of pieces- you are obviously spending some time at this.

You have to do the most varied pieces of any of us.

I love the photo with you hair showing!

Hello Ash -
Wow indeed. I just got a change to peek through your pieces here. Some really nice and inventive stuff you've got! Can't wait to see more. :)

Ash,
You are really prolific! So many lovely pieces! The veil with pearls is stunning too! Nice use of the double drilled pearls, at least I think they are? Garnets really compliment, and I am sure gorgeous on you also!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the compliments, These latest one were all gifts. I do some stuff on comission. Its been crazy Busy wiht Vacation coming up and me sewing like a "mad" :p woman. I do not do the ELizabethan persona much anymore I needed a change for summer. I am looking to get back into bellydancing as well. Can't do that easily in European gowns.

Pants and less layers are Great things for 10 days camping in the Pennsylvania Mountains in the Dog days of summer... Just me Hubby and about 10,000 of our closest friends. :eek::D

Guys in armor, Fencers, Archery, Bellydancing. Old english country dancing, all kinds of history and hand on classes. People in persona from Roman,Viking and Pictish garb through Burgundian, Byzantine, Mongolia, India, Itlaian, Rus, and Elizabeth the I 600-1600 A.D./C.E. from all across Europe and the Silk road.

I can not wait we leave thursday. Okay back to the packing list. I am looking forward to the vacation.. I al also looking forward to new masterpieces from folks on this list. Everything is always so wonderful!

cheers

Thanks everyone,

I will work on some more fun stuff in the Upcoming months. I may actually keep some of it this time.

cheers
Ash

Havent done much in quite a while with being so busy lately. I did manage to make myself a new necklace. Sorry about the bad quality pictures. The Pearls are from P.P., Red dyed Garnets and a Fleur-Du-Lis pendant. Hope to take better pictures and get some more stringing done soon.

Cheers

Last edited:
Expanding Horizons

Expanding Horizons

Recently I have been inspired to expand my Beading horizons, attached are a few earrings I made/Assembled I Did not make the findings. I definitely need to practice with such thin wire but am slowly getting over being hesitant about learning new skills. Especially with all the absolutely fabulous and stunning Items that have been shown on this site lately. My tastes are changing and with this new learning opportunities.

First pair of earrings are posts with 4mm Round Amethyst, large drop shape pearls.

Second pair are gold filled wires with large pearl drops.

Third pair are also on silver wire with wire Fleur-De-Lis with garnet and two sizes rice shaped pearls.

Fourth pair again silver wire with silver Fleur-De-Lis and potato shaped pearls.

All Pearls are Freshwater.

Sorry for the bad Photos. Need to brush up on my photography skills.

Cheers!
Ash

Attachments

• SUC54416.jpg
    SUC54416.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 42
  • SUC54418.JPG
    SUC54418.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 45
  • SUC54422.jpg
    SUC54422.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 48
  • SUC54426.jpg
    SUC54426.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Well done Ashby! They definitely surpass any of my beginner students. Your wire wraps are better than the loops! As you become more adept at handling the needle nose pliers, the 'p' shaped loops on the headpins become even sized, more rounded, & centred over the top of the bead. There is also the bonus of less chance of the loop slipping off the the jump ring its hooked onto. Please ask, if I can help... I tend to be a bit pedantic with my students, but really believe we must aim for perfection, especially when we get to use beautiful materials. Did you make the fleur de lis in the 3rd pic? with a wig jig? Very clever.

Very nice earrings. I love pearls earrings.. and I love when pearls are combined with other stones. Nice job !!

Purgurl,

No admittedly I "cheated" the Fleurs are from Fire Mountain Gems. If I remember correctly they were more "link like for necklaces and I cut off extra holes on the top and tried to file them down to make them for earrings Did that along time ago. Wire is a medium that has intimidated me for such a long time. Thank you so much for the generous offer for help and guidance will probably take you up on it as time goes by. With you as teacher I am sure your students do some really beautiful Pieces!

Caitlyn,
Have not been in the Mood to play with pearls for some time. (How bad is that!) Have to admit been really inspired to branch out and do new stuff and develop new skills especially after seeing the lovely stuff others have been doing and posting here and spending the weekend visiting with mama in her craft room. Lovely weekend especially after her surgery on her hand she can no longer do Knotting (arthritis) but has not let that stop her from creating some fabulous things.

Pattye and Imanit:

Thank you for the compliments. I must thank you and everyone else on Pearls-Guide here for stirring up the motivation to start doing again and inspiring me to start branching out and learn new skills. P-Gers are the Best!

Cheers
Ash

Asnby,

You have such a lovely design sensibility it would be a shame if you stopped for good, besides, it doesn't get any easier--here I am, over 65, arthritic fingers and all (whine, whine) mostly having the time of my life, and occasionally wondering where I would be if I had started a bit earlier!

Best to your Mama, she is setting the bar high!

over 65, arthritic fingers and all
I think I may have the beginnings of arthritis too... sometimes I cant get the watchbacks on again after changing batteries.

This is where tool handling technique works for you, rather than having to fight the joints which dont want to work. There are ways of working with wire which make use of wrist rather than finger movement & strength. Its probably worth training yourself to work that way, the bonus is its less tiring, and might enable you to work longer, both each session, and for more years.

Yay for ergonomics! and economy of movement (there's the dancer in me showing...) and good ol' Henry Ford's time & motion studies, physiotherapists, masseurs.... all kinds of help out there. I'm now more aware of correcting my posture, while performing repetetive movements.
There are lots of youtube tutorials, showing a variety of methods, keep trying & you will find the ones that suit you.

Back