Small Tahitian Pearls

FrankL

Hello,

I landed on this community while Googling for some Tahitian pearls for my wife. I know she wants black pearls for Mother's Day but she doesn't like big jewelry.

There is a local place here that has a necklace that I am told measures 12x11 and is sort of a gray color and has a little green hint to it. It's nice, but I can't see her wearing this every day. I was looking at this necklace that seems to be the smallest I've come across. https://www.pearlparadise.com/products/18-inch-8-0-9-9-mm-aa-aaa-round-tahitian-pearl-necklace

Is this the smallest they come?

Tahitian strands don't get much smaller than this range because the shell is quite large and the pearls are considered on the larger size.

A few years ago we started seeing even small Tahitians in the 6 mm range, but very few strands so far. We wrote about them in Pearl-Guide news last month and I blogged about them in 2016. That said, an 8 mm pearl is less than half the size of a 11 mm pearl. Pearl Dreams put together Volume vs Diameter post here a few years back. You will see a substantial difference between the two.

I have a couple of Tahitians that are smaller, size 8-10mm graduated. They aren't as heavy as my larger strands of Tahitians & South Seas so they're easier to wear & they will layer nicely with larger pearl strands. I think, generally, the smallest Tahitians are around 8mm.

That is certainly a beautiful and extremely versatile strand, FrankL.

There is only one farmer in Tahiti to grow the 5-6 and 6-7 pearls. He sold out almost his whole stock in 2 days. The first new harvest in these sizes are around September this year.
The funny thing last year March is that I bought 2 strands on day 1 of the Hong Kong Fair. In the evening I decided to buy another strand. Overnight he had decided to double his prices, because of high demand of Japanese customers.

Supply and demand, I am often on the losing side LOL.

There is only one farmer in Tahiti to grow the 5-6 and 6-7 pearls. He sold out almost his whole stock in 2 days. The first new harvest in these sizes are around September this year.
The funny thing last year March is that I bought 2 strands on day 1 of the Hong Kong Fair. In the evening I decided to buy another strand. Overnight he had decided to double his prices, because of high demand of Japanese customers.

Back