Size of drill holes?

I agree with Marianne that knotting between the gemstones when combined with larger drilled pearls is a good way to go. I also prefer the drape of knotting. Another idea is to use a surgeons knot next to the pearls, which creates a slightly larger knot. This allows you to use the same thread, but prevents the knot from slipping into the pearl. Please post neck shots when you’re finished your project!

In my Mom's lapis rope where I swapped out the small akoyas for the larger Freshadama pearls, I knotted between the lapis beads, but did not knot between the gold beads (huge holes) and the pearls (small holes). As long as you are consistent in where you knot and where you don't knot, it looks on purpose.

Awesome, thank you everyone! Now I only need to get another needle. The only ultra thin wire that was strong enough for the task in the house was my needle threader, so I choped off the wire and used that ... but after half of the beads/pearls it broke. I'll get a replacement or something better (if they have it at my local beading shop) later.

you can make your own bedding needles in a pinch! some of us use copper wires from old electrical cord.

Genius! Thank you! While I am at it: I just got back from my goldsmith's where I picked up a little silver spring ring. I was set on using french wire. She said, she detests that stuff because she can never source pure (unplated) gold (or even pure silver? Can't remember) ... and then those 40k GSS strands have this black oxidized gunk at the end. Hm. So she rather those hollow ball caps and shellac. I am somewhat afraid of using just glue and not looping the thread. I'm also not sure if the two component epoxy I usually use for glueing pearls will work well with the PowerPro.
Any experiences about that?

Thanks!

Anna

Genius! Thank you! While I am at it: I just got back from my goldsmith's where I picked up a little silver spring ring. I was set on using french wire. She said, she detests that stuff because she can never source pure (unplated) gold (or even pure silver? Can't remember) ... and then those 40k GSS strands have this black oxidized gunk at the end. Hm. So she rather those hollow ball caps and shellac. I am somewhat afraid of using just glue and not looping the thread. I'm also not sure if the two component epoxy I usually use for glueing pearls will work well with the PowerPro.
Any experiences about that?

Thanks!

Anna

Just FYI, you can easily get sterling silver gimp (French wire). I haven't seen karat gold, but I've been tempted to try making my own using very thin gauge wire.

Back