"Sango" cultured akoya pearls from Japan

jshepherd

GIA just came out with this article about "Sango pearls," or akoya pearls grown with a pink coral nucleus. We've seen a lot of pearls nucleated with things like natural pearls, cultured pearls, imitation turquoise, wax and other things. But these have been grown over what appears to be genuine coral.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/summer-2017-gemnews-sango-pearl-japan

I haven't seen these in person yet, but the look from the photos is intriguing.

akoya pearls cultured with coral nuclei.jpg

Interesting use, as a lot of coral is considered a threatened species and very expensive to use a nucleus.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, I'm not 100% wild about the orange color.

Actually that coral bead on the right is so pretty on its own that it seems a shame to cover it up with nacre.

The result pearls look like regular pink akoyas to me, no striking novelty (at least by the photo).. I also prefer the bead on the right, without any nacre fuss :)

Given the threatened state of coral reefs globally, I feel strongly that using coral beads as pearl nuclei is a double no-no.

Maybe it is my computer screen but that far right pearl looks like red coral to me and is very pretty! I also like the pink ones but the red coral brings in a premium so if it can pass as coral, I bet it will be very pricey. I'm curious to see them in real life to see how the pink colors differ from other pink pearls.

Interesting use, as a lot of coral is considered a threatened species and very expensive to use a nucleus.

I saw this yesterday and immediately thought the same thing... I'm not sure the expensive nucleus is worth the result.

Back