Removing glue/epoxy

Sanippy

I’m sure there are numerous threads on this but I can’t find them! What’s the best way to remove pearls from settings? I’ve tried soaking in hot water but to no avail. And I can’t find attack in Australia. Thank you 😊

OK heres what I did. I bought Acetone at the hardware store. First I tried really really hot water. nothing The dabbed Acetone...nothing...then put the pearl covered in water in the microwave...nothing . Then I alternated between the super hot water and soaking in Acetone. Each time after soaking I would take my gentle pliers..and pull straight up on the peg. Don't twist, just a straight even pull. Finally I got it to move about half a mm . So I just kept it up. Finally soaking it for about an hour in Acetone, finished with a hot water bath..gentle even pull and it came out. That pearl was NEVER going to fall off I can tell you that !!

The key is the gentle straight , no turning or twisting , pull on the pin. The second you twist you risk breaking it..then you are really in trouble ! Good luck !! This was a ripple pearl...and the Acetone didn't effect it in any way. But it also wasn't expensive so I wasn't too worried.

You might also want to go into your friendly neighborhood jeweler and ask what they use. I'm thinking maybe there is a product similar to Attack that is sold in Australia, under a different name.

Thanks Katbran! Can I get acetone from Bunnings? The pearl I want to remove is a Kamoka keshi so I really don’t want to damage it in any way! I’ll test it out on a cheap pearl first.

Thanks Pearl Dreams, good idea!

I'm sure Bunnings would have it - I found it in the paint section. Definitely try it on something else first. My pearl was a 13mm Ripple with a long interior peg... hopefully yours will be easier !

Pearl Dreams- I'll take a look, I'll check the ingredients in Attack ( not sold here anymore for some reason and they can't ship it) and see what matches up. Thanks

Last edited:
I just looked at this website-- they ship Attack internationally. (No idea if the cost would be prohibitive.)

https://www.esslinger.com/attack-epoxy-resin-and-adhesive-dissolver-solvent-remover-cleaner/

What countries do you ship to?

We only ship to the countries listed in the checkout process. Please view are shipping policy, the section titled International Shipping Carriers and Services. We reserve the right to refuse orders outside of the USA. We do not accept orders from Nigeria, Malaysia, Indonesia, or the Philippines.

International Shipping Carriers and Services

• UPS: Worldwide Express
  • US Mail: Priority International, Priority Mail International Express EMS, First Class Mail International
Please refer to the shipping calculator tool located on your shopping cart and also available during the checkout for shipping charges and carrier options. Some service options will be generated automatically depending on your country/address and product price, size, and weight. Customers are responsible for additional costs, such as customs, duties, VAT, taxes, brokerage fees, etc. Since customs policies vary widely from country to country, we urge our international customers to contact their local customs office for an estimate before ordering.

Some international shipments can take 2-4 weeks to arrive through the postal service depending on the service level and destination country. Tracking international shipments is very limited on postal service. The United States Postal Service (USPS) international shipping method "First Class Mail International" does not offer any tracking information. If you have chosen this method of shipment, you will receive a receipt number via email when the package is sent (that receipt number is used only for verification that the package is being picked up and sent by the USPS).

International shipping restrictions
Some products cannot be shipped to international destinations so please submit a message to us through the Contact Us page if you would like to discuss international ordering options. There may be restrictions by the shipper on liquids, batteries, and other products licensed only for US sales that are not available to international destinations. Package size, product value, and other restrictions can apply from government and shipping companies.

Update: I tried the boiling water method again and pulled straight up without twisting (thanks Katbran) and success! My lovely keshi has been rescued, damage free.

F4CFD939-0C7A-45D1-932C-70EB2214B5E5.jpg

Well done, Sanippy... But it's a chance that epoxy glues, sold now to general public, are really bad quality epoxy resins (every fast hardening epoxy glues have very low technical qualities) . Without that, only to heat up 250°C, or use of very hard chemicals, can take off something glued with true good epoxy.

I use super glue releaser. It also works on most epoxys And like a dream on superglue. Get the gel not the liquid,which evaporates as you look at it.

Update: I tried the boiling water method again and pulled straight up without twisting (thanks Katbran) and success! My lovely keshi has been rescued, damage free.

View attachment 58131
That is a lovely Keshi ! So glad you were able to remove the pin !

As to the eBay company - they responded to my note and said that they do not ship Attack to Australia as it’s considered a hazardous chemical.

Back