Received a strand of pearls as a gift - any ideas as to how much they're worth?

karenkuhn

Hi there!

I received this strand of pearls as a gift and I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine their classification as well as what they may be worth. There is no indication of the brand or manufacturer, and the box was unmarked.

Please let me know if I can provide any more photos. Any help would be much appreciated!

Same
IMG_0343.jpg
These are the ones I need to restring.

Last edited:
IMHO, they are dyed cultured fresh water pearls, judging by the shape and colour. Not sure about value as there is no mention of the size of the pearls, sorry.

Hopefully the experts will come along soon to offer their advice.

DK :)

I'm with dkan, they look like dyed cultured Chinese freshwater pearls, for the same reasons she gave.

How large are they?
Does the clasp have any indication of the type of metal?

Same impression here. They can be pretty and fun to wear but have no particular resale value. Though they could have cost anything depending on where they were bought and what they were bought as. There are places in the world where these could been passed off as Tahitian pearls.

- Karin

Hi KarinK,

The smallest pearls (nearest the clasp) measure about 8mm in diameter and the largest pearls (furthest from the clasp) measure about 10mm in diameter. There are 83 pearls in total. Hope this helps!

IMG_4688.jpg

The smallest measure about 8mm in diameter and the largest measure about 10mm in diameter. Sadly, there's no indication of the type of metal. I would guess sterling silver, but I can't be sure. There are 83 pearls total in the strand.

It's a fun necklace and probably cost a decent amount to purchase. Reselling pearls can be very hard to do. Better to save and "re-gift" if you don't think you will wear them. I think they are a very nice gift. :)

So, it's a long strand, maybe 30 inches?

Look on the tongue for a metal mark. 925 for silver, 14K for gold, maybe 14KGP for gold plated. If none, then it's base metal or maybe silver plated. It's nicely finished with french wire (that small coil near the clasp that covers and protects the thread.)

As to value, it depends. We're talking here about new value at retail (if you sell it pre-owned, you can expect to get less.)

I Googled 30 inch black freshwater pearls and came up with prices on Aliexpress in the $35 to $50 range, but that is low. I see others with 14K clasps that are in the $80 range.

I'm sure you can find others that are higher if the clasp is gold.

My suggestion is to wear it and enjoy it rather than reselling it.

Back