purple rounds

I have used embroidery floss and dental floss. Either one is great.

You will probably need beading needles for the floss. Most sewing needles are too think. If you don't have some already, get the twisted wire ones with the easy to thread holes. I usually just buy the thinnest ones, then I don't have to have them in all sizes.You will most likely have to glue the knot- unless you know a super knot. If you do,let me know!.

The necklaces do not drape when you use wire, but they don't need to drape when worn, at least until you get to the longer sizes. I would start with the medium wire on those pearls, but the thin or thick would both work too. a well made (well-crimped) wire necklace will last years of wear and a few yanks.

You wil

Caitlin: SoftTouch (made by SoftFlex) has a fairly nice drape if you use wire. I don't use crimping pliers, never got the hang of them and I saved $15 not buying the pliers. I use a flattened crimp and haven't had a problem. Square knots work great.

I like Soft Touch. If you want drape especially in longer pearls, SoftTouch is better- (still not as good as Power Pro Spectra thread though)
As for crimping pliers. I went without for about 25 years (1965-1990) and I was so delighted when I finally found them! I like the round look to the crimped bead, though when I found crimp covers, I like that look the best.

I always yank the wire really hard every time I crimp, just to make sure it will hold. I have had strands come back for restringing, but never one strung on wire!

Knotty
How do you do a square knot on one piece of wire or thread?

Caitlin Williams said:
You will most likely have to glue the knot- unless you know a super knot. If you do,let me know!.

Oops, my bad, I thought we were talking about thread. (But I have square knotted soft-touch a couple of time to make little rings. Been about 5 years and holding so far.)

Ladies & Gentlemen, my soap box, please. Doesn't the local bead store offer customer service any more? They offer the use of tools, sell wire by the foot, offer how-to advice and design advice. They have the spacers and everything a first time beader could possibly want including a teacher. The bead selection is fantastic so a beginner can get a feel for their own style before they embark on buying quantities of beads on-line.

Plus, I always browse my local bead stores for this and that. The other day I got some beeswax that was very VERY fresh, stocked up on needles, picked up some beads for my niece and was inspired by one of their designs.

I support my local bead store because 1) it provides local jobs 2) it gives me a little beading community to pop in on every once in a while and 3) friends; there are always lots and lots of people to meet and old friends to greet.

Yes, I pay more for some things and they don't always have the selection I want, but the benefits far outweigh the small price increase. It's nice to see a new product in person sometimes before purchasing and there are so many more benefits that on-line purchasing won't get you.

So, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BEAD STORE, at least until you have 5 or 10 designs under your belt and you feel the need to expand into your own tools, inventory, and home workspace.

Stepping down, now. :)

Beads stores are great. Every one in Tucson is different. I think I reviewed them all once, but I can't remember what I called the thread. It is good to know who has what and for how much, because if you need it today, there is nothing like a store to go to.

I always call before I drive to make sure who has what I want before I drive into town.

Still,,,,,,,I live out in the county about 10 miles from the nearest 7/11 and 35 miles from the nearest bead store. so I just love being able to buy online.

babibigsu

babibigsu

Knotting is not difficult but it can take some time to become consistent and if you are very, excuse the word please, ****, you can end up retying your first project more than once. I retyed my first necklace 19 times. Now I can knot almost anything but it took a year to become proficient and to be able to use different thicknesses of silk as accidental knots happen more easily in thinner silk. It's definitely worth the effort as, when you purchase the hank, and have PP string the necklace, you get the few remaining pearls to play with.
We really should dance when no one is looking. When you string your own pearls you intimately know each pearl on the strand.
barbie

Knotting is not difficult but it can take some time to become consistent and if you are very, excuse the word please, ****, you can end up retying your first project more than once.

Or, the pleasure of knotting can become your passion :)

Now I can knot almost anything but it took a year to become proficient and to be able to use different thicknesses of silk as accidental knots happen more easily in thinner silk.

Beeswax your thread a little more then the knots will glide in to place.

It's definitely worth the effort as, when you purchase the hank, and have PP string the necklace, you get the few remaining pearls to play with.

HOW COOL! I was wondering if you were buying 3 strands. I never thought of asking for the strands from PP. Uh, NAT! LOL

We really should dance when no one is looking. When you string your own pearls you intimately know each pearl on the strand.

Let them look, I don't care! And, I love that feeling of placing each little one into place right next to it's buddy for life.

Welcome to the club, Barbie! Oh, check out the lowly beader's club.

Last edited:
I agree about the beeswax. A nice coating of that and the knots should slide into place faultlessly ---if you are using 2 strands to knot. That is, a double strand throguh a needle.

If you bought the silk with the needle already attached as a one strander, no matter how proficient you get, one small lapse and the knot gets stuck.........

I totally gave up the one strand method for the one strand doubled on a a separate needle and now I haven't used an awl to unstick a knot for at least 10,000 knots in a row......

Oh. I have fogotten to slide another pearl down and then make one knot on top of the other and I need the awl for undoing that. But I have only had that happen once in recent memory.

I have been making several 60" strands with 5-6mm pearls. The bead number wizard says that's 234 pearls per strand.......I have made at least a thousand knots in the last 24 hours without one falling out of place.

Thanks, Caitlin. It didn't even register with me that she could be using single thread. I don't forget and make a double knot, I forget to make the initial knot and have two pearls smack dab up against each other. Oh well! Another custom designed piece by the Panda!

Oh, That one too :mad: :p !!!!! The only remedy for which is to take it apart and redo it...... I have tried not to, to ignore it when I did that and I can't. I can't get any peace until I redo it. sigh.......

How many HOURS have we posted about nothing but knotting???? LOL Did you ever know two total NCNs who could do that? :) Fun, ain't it!

Knotting is a respectable topic and one all pearl lovers should get to know....so I value these opportunities to talk knot.....;)

Back