Purple fade

I was doing a bit of purple fade googling and found this old thread.

I bought this pearl from Kojima a couple of years ago.

I remember thinking the pearl was paler than the glamour shot. It's definitely a pale mauve with a green overtone. Still a very pretty pearl, but not deep purple. It's a very, very shiny pearl. You can see me squatting to take the photo, my phone, and my entire bathroom in the reflection.

IMG_0994.jpeg

Last edited:
So my actual question was going to be: Has anyone else bought purple pearls that faded?

The reason why some fade and some don't is probably that some are dyed and some aren't (GIA analysis). Now ask me which fade???o_O:unsure:
Yeah, from what I read online, I couldn't get a good handle on whether it was the dyed ones that faded or the natural colored ones.

One should take a photo of the pearl and store it. Our memory is usually tricked. I remember a certain pearl being more purple and when I look at the photo I go: Oh! It's just as purple!
I mean, each pearl is an individual...so each one can change differently. But that was my experience with Cortez Purples: they did not change, even after 10+ years.

Uh oh...just found this thread. I just purchased (but haven't yet received) some dark purple pearls during the PP live stream event last week. I hate to 'wait and see' if they fade. The whole reason that I bought them was for the crazy color. From what I could see in this thread, it wasn't clear which ones do versus don't fade. Has there been any update on that?

I purchased the pearls for the necklace 3 years ago and they are still the same color...but I also have a stand-alone purple pearl (in the net pendant) and the earrings. Both the pendant pearl and the earrings have faded a bit. So I don't know the answer to the fading dilemma.
IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

Uh oh...just found this thread. I just purchased (but haven't yet received) some dark purple pearls during the PP live stream event last week. I hate to 'wait and see' if they fade. The whole reason that I bought them was for the crazy color. From what I could see in this thread, it wasn't clear which ones do versus don't fade. Has there been any update on that?
Only time will tell...

I'd been reading about Edisons for a while and was hesitant, but if I were going to take the leap I figured I'd rather take it with PP. I actually ended up with a multicolored strand, although I was lured briefly by a deep intensely colored one. I figured that if there were to be some fading, it might not be as apparent on a multi. My backups if this doesn't work out well: Plan B would be to turn the strand into bracelets; Plan C would be to make tin cups or mixed pearl strands as I've accumulated more pearls over time than I realized. I'm hoping that the colors will remain stable, but I'm going to try to be creative if they don't.

BTW, I've been lurking here for a while, but I rarely post. I love seeing everyone's pearls and am really impressed with the creativity. I'm inspired enough to attempt to learn stringing, as the lovely and talented person who has strung my "projects" for years has retired.

I'd been reading about Edisons for a while and was hesitant, but if I were going to take the leap I figured I'd rather take it with PP. I actually ended up with a multicolored strand, although I was lured briefly by a deep intensely colored one. I figured that if there were to be some fading, it might not be as apparent on a multi. My backups if this doesn't work out well: Plan B would be to turn the strand into bracelets; Plan C would be to make tin cups or mixed pearl strands as I've accumulated more pearls over time than I realized. I'm hoping that the colors will remain stable, but I'm going to try to be creative if they don't.

BTW, I've been lurking here for a while, but I rarely post. I love seeing everyone's pearls and am really impressed with the creativity. I'm inspired enough to attempt to learn stringing, as the lovely and talented person who has strung my "projects" for years has retired.
If I can string then anyone can string, lol. Just be cautious because if you think you've accumulated a lot of pearls already, just wait. Stringing can become addictive!

As CatMom mentioned, you can do it! I ordered some Serafil from Pattye, followed the wonderful directions from Pearl Dreams on this site and jumped into the pool. I've done three of my strands. One probably needs to be redone but it's good enough for now.

We haven't experienced color fading as far as I'm aware. Hisano has a number of special pieces that are just as beautiful today as they were the day she got them. But I know it can happen, so we're taking photo records of the intensely color-saturated strands and attaching them to order notes before they ship out. If there is any fading, we'll replace the pearls or accept a return for two years. Hopefully they will maintain their colors indefinitely.

If I can string then anyone can string, lol. Just be cautious because if you think you've accumulated a lot of pearls already, just wait. Stringing can become addictive!

We haven't experienced color fading as far as I'm aware. Hisano has a number of special pieces that are just as beautiful today as they were the day she got them. But I know it can happen, so we're taking photo records of the intensely color-saturated strands and attaching them to order notes before they ship out. If there is any fading, we'll replace the pearls or accept a return for two years. Hopefully they will maintain their colors indefinitely.
That's very reassuring to hear. No worries though; most of my own original components have changed over time ☺️

As CatMom mentioned, you can do it! I ordered some Serafil from Pattye, followed the wonderful directions from Pearl Dreams on this site and jumped into the pool. I've done three of my strands. One probably needs to be redone but it's good enough for now.
Sounds good. I've been looking for something to do in retirement.

Back