PP golden south sea drop earrings and others

Lulu

By way of introduction: I have been a lurker on P-G on and off for a while, it has finally enabled me to make my first PP purchases in the last month or so, which I thought I would share since others' pictures have been so helpful to me.

These are the PP freshadama peach studs that are about 8.5 mm along with the GSS drops that are about 10 mm. Both are so lustrous that I think the camera's autofocus is confused by the reflected light, so the focal point is a little bit off of the pearls in these pictures. I think the colors in the pictures are pretty accurate to IRL, although I wasn't able to capture the pinkish overtone in the GSS and the slightly green overtone in the peach freshadamas.

03 Natural Pearl
Gorgeous metallic w/ intense colors FW Keshis from our Pattye (www.PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com)

I also recently picked up a few strands from Kojima Pearl. These lavender eggs are incredibly lustrous, even metallic, with strong flashes of blue, and a nice size (about 11 mm long).

12 Natural Pearl 11 Natural Pearl

These freshwater keshis were dyed a beautiful even dove grey and came in a hank of 4 strands. I had intended to make them into a torsade but they were too shiny to have that close to my face -- far too blingy for Boston, unfortunately. I'm planning on reworking into a two-strand necklace with a longer length. They have incredible multicolor flashes of color that the camera unfortunately washed out, although you can see it a little bit in the pearls that are more in the shadow.

09 Natural Pearl

And when I'm in, I'm all in.... I also picked up a strand of peachy-champagne Chinese kasumi from the ebay seller RainbowIslandPearls. These pictures really do the pearls no justice. Crazy multicolor metallic flashes that don't show up well at all.

Gorgeous metallic w/ intense colors FW Keshis from our Pattye (www.PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com)

And they really do look like golden bubbles:

Kasumi necklace 10mm-13mm from 2 DruzyDesign's Kasumi bracelets

They're about 10 mm - 13 mm with not super-wrinkly skin, more like saran-wrapped, if that makes any sense. There are random patches of super-colorful metallic, but not all over every pearl. I have no idea if I over-paid for these, but they're still beautiful.

Finally, when I got these as a gift seven years ago, I had no idea what they were. I think I even thought they must be fake because they're about 9 mm, but now I'm sure that they're Chinese fwp (off-rounds complete with very very faint rings on a few pearls and a few blemishes or indentations). I re-strung on powerpro with knots in between because they came strung on heavyweight beading wire with a vermeil clasp and I didn't like the drape.

05 Natural Pearl

I'm showing those as an example of just how far I've come....

Wow, you've got some gorgeous stuff there! Can we see photos of them on you, too?

Very nice collection!

I'd love to see the golden SSP on your ear to see the size of them (the pearls, not the ears! :p )

I second Pearl Dreams' request. Those GSS pearls are beautiful.

Great selection Lulu. Very nicely done. Welcome to the world of pearls...... (or PA as some of us would call it :)

Wow you have jumped in with both feet haven't you!! Those are lovely earrings! And the lavender ovals are gorgeous! I know what you mean by saran -wrapped..I've got some pale pink/gold ones that are like that ... not nearly as nice or deep in colour as yours though .. was a bit disappointed in them but that's what you get with photos..sometimes the colours are just not what you think. Your white freshies look very nice! All in all you are well and truly on the pearl road.

wow, beautiful collection!! The lavender ones from Kojima are amazing! I've not been a fan of lavender pearls but those are sooo gorgeous! The lustre is incredible. It looks like they've got tiny LED lights on them..

What a wonderful way to introduce yourself, Lulu :D

- Karin

Thank all of you for your lovely responses. As requested, I have taken some action pix. Forgive the ruddy complexion. It was an unseasonably warm day in Boston today and I may have gotten bit too much "color."

I have really fallen in love with these peach Freshadamas -- the perfect size. DH thinks they don't contrast enough with my skintone, but I love them because they're still very understated for their size.

China Pearls&Jewelry City

As for the GSSP... Almost immediately after placing the order online, I had buyer's
remorse. What if I don't like golden south sea pearls? Luckily, the venerable Shreve Crump & Low in downtown Boston had quite a few strands of deeply golden south sea strands. (I hear that this is a rarity, and if you're in the Boston area and interested in SSP, you should definitely go check them out! They have lots of strands of SSP and the service is amazing -- they are not shy about taking very pricey pieces out of the cases for you to handle and examine closely.) In any case, my heart dropped. I did not like the golden strands against my skin. Despite being golden, they all had a very cool sheen, which was not flattering to my warm complexion -- made me look green. Maybe this is the green/silver overtone? I decided that I would send the PP earrings back once they arrived?. But then once they got here I couldn't bear to part with them. They are not nearly as deeply golden as those SSP strands I saw in person (maybe that is part of it), but these also had what I think is a pink overtone (pink ring around points of reflected light). They are tremendously flattering and beautiful pearls.

Yida's new building

The best part is that they do not get in the way of my phone (I spend a lot of time on the phone at work). And they are big and unusual enough that probably a lot of coworkers probably think that they are fake. LOL. These are pretty substantial in size and weight. While I don't think they stretched out my earlobes, I felt them every second that I had them on. I don't think I can go much bigger than this for everyday wear.

Lulu, those are beautiful shots of pearls on the ears. You've done really well. Wear them in good health. Welcome to Pearl-guide.com. :)

Back