PowerPro colours

Lady_Disdain

I am slowly working my way through the different threads for pearl stringing (so far, Beader's Secret is ahead and I forgot to thank Pattye). I want to string some gemstone beads and pearls, so PowerPro was up next. I ordered two reels in green and grey (this is where things got strange, since I thought it came in white, green, yellow and red).

This is what I got:
P1040834.jpg

That green seems way too bright to blend in with pearls and quite different from what I see around here. The grey is quite nice but, once again, not what is usually seen with PowerPro. The packaging looks alright:

P1040835.jpg

So, anyone have a clue what I got? I think I am going to knot a trial strand in the grey, just as an experiment, but that green looks useless.

yes that green looks too bright green and my PP is more a dark mossy green. I've never seen Grey...I hope they have added it as a colour !

Where did they come from ?

I did a search and found a Power Pro super slick braided line in a brighter apple green and timber brown , bright marine blue, and yellow. Can't find grey on the PP sites..but there is another fishing line company that makes a grey line. hmmmmm .. it's a mystery. (unless it's a knock off made in China)

Last edited:
Pattye is going to be stocking shorter, more usable lengths of powerpro in her Etsy shop soon.
(And then she'll do the two strand knotting video.)

They are from a local fishing shop. The label looks ok, compared to the PowerPro website, but I am unsure about the clear reel. On the other hand, a lot of local shops are selling the grey. There is a lot of shallow water fishing in the area, maybe that is why?

I've bought a few spools of green at various times and from different local sporting goods companies. In general the green looks the same. But I had one spool with almost very black green and one spool that is brighter green (rather than dark green like I usually get). None of them is as bright as yours though. I need to check my local shops to see if they stock grey now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Today I stopped by my local fishing store. They have power pro in "MOSS GREEN" which is a very muted gray-green shade. Also "GREEN" which is bright like the one Lady_D is showing. No gray there. The color is marked on the box.

Avoid red & yellow, and check any other colors before use them for color fastness. Verify that your purchase is 100% Spectra fiber, braided microfilament line. It may be that multiple factories are producing the line and colors vary slightly. I've been told the moss green can come off on one's hands.

There is a variety of Power Pro called "Super8Slick," a 8 yarn Spectra fiber construction that comes in yellow, marine blue, timber brown and aqua green. I'm not aware of anyone using it for crafts. I'll be on the lookout for more info.

I see Spectra in a number of colors on eBay, under the brand name KastKing. Has anyone used this?

I agree with you Lady D, Beaders Secret is my favorite thread too! But I've actually used Sharpies to add custom color to white PowerPro (if I don't have the right color/weight in Beaders Secret). I usually let it dry overnight before using it and I've not had any problems. Has anyone else tried this?

Back