Please tell me about sea of cortez pearls?

Just curious, how many pearls come from one mullosk? What was your volume this year? Is it gradually going up? I hope so for us in the forum that hope to get something in the future. By the way, that pearl was so beautiful it looked fake. ( a compliment of course!)

Au contraire mon ami?! That pearl looks like the REAL THING...it is so beautiful that most people (meaning: people that do not work with pearls) have to believe it is not a pearl at all. But it is a "normal" reaction with high-quality Cortez pearls.

You can find additional information right here in this forum: https://www.pearl-guide.com/cortez-pearls.shtml

Also, you can find information on our website (soon to be revisited): perlas.com.mx

I hope that by next year (January 2008) we will be able to do an article for Bo Torrey's Pearl World. So more information will become available...the only thing we hope is that we will be able to have enough pearls for the continued demand. As of today...we sell 100% of our yearly production.

As of today...we sell 100% of our yearly production.

Certainly not a bad problem Doug ;) - if you can increase production I predict big things for Cortez pearls!

Beautiful pearls! Grats on your successes :)

Do you sell any pearls from a store front in Sonora,Mexico or are they all sold to different designers(vendors).etc. Is the next harvest all spoken for? Just curious...

Yes, we do sell our pearls at our store in Guaymas, Sonora (just a short drive from the US border...some 4 hours), but mainly all set into jewelry. For loose (unset) pearls you must make an appointment.

One third of the harvest goes to our US buyers, another third (this year) will go to supply our new store in La Paz (to be opened at the end of the year or early 2008) and the needs of our Exclusive Affiliates (Jewelers & Designers in Mexico City) and the rest will barely fill our present store's needs.

Demand is increasing, but production is not...this is due to many factors, but mainly environmental (Ni?o/Ni?a, Hurricanes, Global Warming). We have not been able to fully recover from the effects of hurricane "Marty" (it destroyed some 80% of our farm) in 2003. But 2010 should be a good year for us. I will keep my fingers crossed. ;)

CortezPearls said:
Yes, we do sell our pearls at our store ...mainly all set into jewelry.

Are you having the bench work done in house? Any of it? :cool:

CortezPearls said:
Last Day of the 2007 Harvest...a day that will live in infamy ;)

I still have to take photos of keshis and the loose pearls that came out of the harvest...but could not wait to take a photo of this particular pearl. I have told some of you about the "Fish Eye" (Ojo de Pescado) effect that I have ONLY seen in Cortez Pearls (this does not mean other pearls cannot have it, only that I have yet to see it). These are overtones taken to the extreme.

So, this is special for me...I present a pearl of utter magnificence. Feast, enjoy...drool if you will (I am still drooling).

Thank You God!!!

Very nice. What size is it? It isn't a keishi, is it?

Believe it or not, that's what my natural pearl looks like (if I would take a proper picture). Same green, same fisheye. I was kind of wondering whether or not mine was really a mexican pearl, as most of the mexican pearls I sea have more red/gold to them, but it looks almost just like this one you posted here.

preswine said:
Believe it or not, that's what my natural pearl looks like (if I would take a proper picture). Same green, same fish-eye.

Wow! If they are indeed natural (i.e. not cultured), you have an incredible treasure. Seriously! There are so few strands of natural black pearls around, that I was very pleased to even get to see one. And the pearls - although fairly large (approx. 5-12mm graduated) were not quite as brilliant as the Cortez ones seem to be. The age was an excuse... however, I couldn't hold back a feeling of "OK. I know they are amazingly rare and valuable, but what happened to them pearls!?". Brilliant, natural blacks... What a dream! :eek:

Any chance to see them? :cool: In a picture...

Valeria101 said:
Wow! If they are indeed natural (i.e. not cultured), you have an incredible treasure. Seriously! There are so few strands of natural black pearls around, that I was very pleased to even get to see one. And the pearls - although fairly large (approx. 5-12mm graduated) were not quite as brilliant as the Cortez ones seem to be. The age was an excuse... however, I couldn't hold back a feeling of "OK. I know they are amazingly rare and valuable, but what happened to them pearls!?". Brilliant, natural blacks... What a dream! :eek:

Any chance to see them? :cool: In a picture...

I said pearl, not pearls. I wish I could find and afford to buy a strand of fine natural black mexican pearls.

preswine said:
I said pearl, not pearls. I wish I could find and afford to buy a strand of fine natural black mexican pearls.

Right you are! I mistook this thread with another. :eek:

Even writing "strand of natural black mexican pearls" sends a chill down the spine! :cool: A good one...

Even if they are not entirely natural... some of the pictures of keshi show rounds !! Hope that wasn't a mix of pictures with the nucleated batch or something.

Back