Please help to identify these pearls.

3FA3F439-ECE7-452F-90CA-77D967957F95.jpeg

I apologize for multiple pictures. Just learning. Also its evident i know very little about pearls.
Even my strands from 1900 are cultured. Ive inherited all of this. Im not surprised that the colored pearls are dyed and from china. They are 1990’s pieces. I really thought ,however, the cream colored older pearls were natural.

Let's make sure we are using the same terminology!

Natural pearls = wild pearls that form in nature with no intervention of humans.
Cultured pearls = farmed pearls.

Both are real pearls.
Your cultured strands are real pearls...they just don't appear to be wild pearls.

If you have some reason to believe they are wild, natural pearls, you can send them to the GIA for testing. There is a fee, however.

I thought perhaps the cream colored graduated one with very small pearls near clasp were maybe wild. Just because of how small they got. Yet a grain of sand isnt big either.

Cultured akoyas can be very small indeed! A tiny bead nucleus produces a tiny cultured pearl.

Wild pearls do not form around a grain of sand; that is a myth. They form when some mantle tissue (the tissue that secretes nacre outward to form the shell) is displaced into the body of the oyster. Additional cells grow out from the edges of the displaced mantle tissue, it forms a pearl sac and secretes nacre inward instead of outward. Result: a wild pearl.

See your messages...up at the top right of the page, the little envelope icon.

Back