Pearls from 1989

Ponada

Hi, :D

My grandmother have a set of pearls from 1989. She got them as a present from my grandfather for being married for 25 years.

They were bought the same year in 1989 for around 25000 SEK at a local jeweler by my grandfather.

The pearls have a gritty surface and a very natural finish in an ivory/champagne/yellow-ish color. The clamp does not have any markings what so ever and the pearls measure around 7-8mm. The pearls does not feel "hot" when you hold them.

Please tell me what you think,
Thank you. IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_1111.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1119.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 38
They look like semi-baroque akoyas. SEK is Swedish Krona? The price paid would be in line with akoya pearls.

It would be a good idea to restring them, as the silk gets weak over time from age, exposure to skin oils and general environmental pollution and grime. If the thread breaks the pearls could be lost.

Many of us restring our own pearls; it's not hard, especially with modern synthetic thread, and it does save money. Check out the tutorials and videos on the Lowly Beader's Club forum here. :)

Thanks for your feedback on the pearls!

About the clasp I noticed that it is not possible to ”open” it at all. The necklace is big enough to simply put over your head so there is no need for separating the pearls, the clasp is simply clued together as one piece.

I also got the story of the pearls corrected. My grandmother got them as a job present for working 25 years as a nurse in my hometown.

And finally yes, the price is in swedish SEK (krona). I will try to get the pearls evaluated by an expert and hopefully update this post another time with more information!

//Ponada

So the "clasp" is really a connector. It's just as easy to restring the pearls with a connector as it is with a clasp.

Back