Pearls at auction (Again)

V

Valeria101

A couple of beautiful things for your clicking pleasure ;)

A 14 x 10mm natural drop in a remarkable setting

and

a suspiciously 'natural' looking strand...

Leaving the rest of the catalog for your browsing. :)

713201.jpg

The 2nd link doesn't work for me, Val :eek: Perhaps there's an error in the URL?

Otherwise, I LOVE the emeralds shown here. Such a pleasant shade of green *sigh*...

It is a tiny, delicate piece. Sale 2375 Lot 567 described as:

"Art Deco Pearl Necklace, the ivorytone pearls with rose overtones, graduating in size from approx. 1.70 to 4.10 mm, completed by a platinum, emerald-cut emerald, and old single-cut diamond melee clasp, millegrain accents, lg. 19 7/8 in., (white gold findings). Estimate $600-800"

716053.jpg

Hi Ana,

The knots between the pearls are huge! But you are right, they really do have the shape of naturals. The clasp seems to totally be from another strand. Curious.

Slraep

It's too bad there isn't a dime or a hand in the photo for reference. My mind says it's a 36" strand, even though I know it's just under 20". :)

Did you see the Natural Pearl Ring, necklace, earrings, and bracelet (Lots 1029-1032) coming up at the Sotheby's Hong Kong auction?

Thanks for the size perspective, Blaire. Based on a less than 20" length, maybe those knotted pearls are actually 2-2.5MM. Ever knot 4MM? Never again!

Curley: Link, please. Thanks!

Ever knot 4MM? Never again!

It says 1.7mm to 4.10. Sounds like that would be a Knotty nightmare!:eek:

That necklace really looks like my Bahraini pearls in both length and size.

Call me OCD but I like to knot beween small pearls. :p I recently put 277 knots in a 60" 4-5mm rope. It took about one TV show to knot.

I don't like the clasp with that strand-The weight of that clasp might make it slip around from the back of the neck..... I think it needs a plain little fish hook clasp for pearls.

Attachments

• Ikechos waiting to become a pendant/earring set...
    Ikechos waiting to become a pendant/earring set...
    45.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
GemGeek said:

It says 1.7mm to 4.10. Sounds like that would be a Knotty nightmare!:eek:

LOL, you got that straight! That's why God invented random symetry! I did a 4MM necklace for my niece, 11" on a carrier line with larkshead knots. Learned my lesson REAL fast! A year later, she grew out of it!

I am sorry that a lot of knots would put someone off. Of course, I did a lot of micro macrame back when it was popular.

My point is I like to knot. It is a soothing, almost contemplative activity. In fact I have 4 more of the 60" 4-5mm and 2 more 60" in lavender queued up to do.

The lavender strands are pearls I got from member Mandyshan, who lives in Zhuji.

Missed it too. Looks like those conservative estimates didn't hurt!

The other side has a black strand on the block... Wonder what kind and where from the pearls might be?

?naturals from the property of a Spanish Ducal Family.
Looks like El Duque will be able to keep the lights on for another month or two (a little shaky in Spain at the moment)!

Back