Pearls....and antiques

X

xeresana

I'm going out this afternoon to look at a copper-lined humidor from one of my favorite antique dealers. I've never heard of copper-lined humidors, but then again, I've never smoked so, maybe that's what they're all lined with? I know there was a discussion about keeping pearls in humidors and concern with the humidity wearing on the silk. Are copper-lined humidors just as um..."humid" or would that be a decent way to store pearls when not in use? I'm looking at the piece as a small accent table, not pearl storage, but it just got me wondering. Anyone out there know?

Hi
I think copper is reactive-it turns a wonderful bluey-green on roofs, for instance.(not to mention skin!) I would not put pearls on the copper. Wrap them first. Or use it for something that won't react to the copper- like poker chips or cards etc.

Copper is reactive - and depending on the acidity of the environment will turn the familiar dark brown of an old penny or the bright green you can see in roofs and gutters sometimes. As the metal reacts it can slough off bits of material, although that's in the most extreme cases like an urban rooftop exposed to acid rain... At any rate, I agree with Caitlin that copper wouldn't be the best material to touch the pearls. It's a great excuse to find a nice piece of silk.

Thanks ladies! Right now, it's just a side table...and a new plaything for kitties.

Back