Pearler of a mistake: the ocean reclaims a rare gift Read more: http://www.watoday.c

KAC

THEPEARLFINAL-420x0.jpg

While he is used to capturing some of the world's most beautiful women in their lingerie or portraits for his Nomad Two Worlds exhibition, photographer Russell James isn't used to losing money, which he did in Hollywood recently.

Whilst working on location for the new perl'eco by Atlas South Sea Pearls campaign, the Perth-raised, New York-based photographer accidentally returned one of the rarest types of pearls back to where it came from, and it wasn't the boutique.

James' usually cool, calm and collected attitude took a back seat when he was forced to dive into the ocean to save $30,000 worth of pearls at a Santa Monica beach.

"Russell had this brilliant idea about shooting the pearls on the wet sand with the foam of the sea just washing up to them," Atlas South Sea Pearls chairman Steve Birkbeck told WAtoday.com.au ahead of last night's launch of the first Perth retail space in Claremont.

Mr Birkbank travelled to LA to meet with the Victoria's Secret photographer before the two of them decided to shoot test shots of two 'perfect round' pearls on the wet sand when a wave came and washed them away.

Both pearls had diametres measuring up to 17 millimetres and worth upwards of $15,000 each.

"We got so absorbed with what we were doing, we had the two pearls together on the sand when a huge wave came up behind us and smashed down and just washed out the pearls and the next minute the pearls were swept out to the ocean, Russell has thrown his $20,000 camera in the air and dived into the water," Mr Birkbank said.

The photographer who was dressed in his usual uniform of thongs managed to locate one of the pearls which landed on the ocean floor but after an hour of diving in the rising swell, was unable to find the other.

"He was mortified but I just said 'Russell, we didn't lose nothing, the sea has taken back one and given us the other', but we've been taking the piss out of him ever since," he said.

"I have made all of my success through the cosmetic and perfume industry by pioneering social conscious and making sure there is a meaning behind luxury, that's how and why Russell and I became mates and are now working together."

Mr Birkbank who was the first person to export cosmetics into France in 1996 has built a career on eco-friendly ethics and has been honoured by the United Nations and Estee Lauder for his efforts.

The chairman, who took the reins of the company in 2009, is now focused on developing export opportunities with Europe on selling pearl by products for the cosmetic and pharmaceutical projects.

As well working to develop hypo-allegenic pearls and a necklace that slowly releases perfume, the retail arm of Atlas South Sea Pearls, perl’eco, already has six retail spaces established in Bali and last night launched in the Australian market.

The Claremont boutique also has an additional museum space which will house a gallery of work by Australian artists.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/p...a-rare-gift-20111026-1mjl4.html#ixzz1cNdNUD7D

That 3rd to the final paragraph.....LOL! I guess that means no nickel in the gold or silver? Or the silk. Maybe he means to promote infinity necklaces - noclasps.

He does not need to develop hypoallergenic pearls, unless he means faux pearls. Faux pearls saturated with perfume would NOT be hypoallergenic!

Oh WOW- I'll be sure to keep an eye out when I go tide-pooling and seashelling next! That would be the most improbable but amazing find... That poor guy- if I find it, I'll use your story to contact him. ;)
One other thing that I found a little odd- "The photographer who was dressed in his usual uniform of thongs..." Ummm. The mental images this conjures is just too funny.

Back