Pearl Storage

X

xeresana

OK...this is a little embarrassing to admit. But...I now own so many strands of pearls that the little pearl boxes have taken over the drawer space in my lovely antique vanity. I will defend my purchases to anyone who asks why I *need* so many strands, so let's just say purging isn't on the table here. Is it best to keep them in their little boxes? Can I hang them in a jewelry box or will that affect the thread somehow? Is there some more efficient way to store them all?

I don't think you want to hang them; I've read that can stretch the silk.
I still have my Freshadamas in their box, but my other strands (most of which I've made) just lie in my jewelry box, which has 6 capacious drawers. I also have some necklaces of pearls and semi-precious stones that I strung on beading wire, and these I do hang.

Can you find room for a "satellite" jewelry box for your pearls? Why be limited to just one box?;)

Having another sleepless night, I find myself back on here.
I've a chest of stationery drawers that I've lined with velvet and keep my pearls in open boxes in these until I get around to dividing the drawers. The boxes have to be minus their lids so's I can see at a glance where a particular piece is.

Hanging your strands will stretch them if they are on silk. There is a product available at woodwork shop which lines drawers. If you have a smaller drawer, you can coat the inside of the drawer with glue, then you place shreded microfiber in the drawer, cover it plastic wrap, and shake it up coating the entire drawer. Let the glue set and shake out the excess microfiber. You have a very exclusive addition to your vanity. Lined jewelry drawers are a luxury here. Just lay your pieces inside, no boxes required. You can go fancier if you like and get dividers at woodworking places too. Lay some anti-tarnish strips in the drawer to protect silver.

Hi Knotty and other members,

why don?t you get yourselves silk pouches? They will protect your pearls from getting scratched, this goes for other jewelry as well.

You could put a number on every pouch so you know what is in it and make yourself a list so you are able to find a certain piece at once! Good as well to have an inventory if there are matters with an insurance company involved.:rolleyes:

It is easy too to take them out once in a while and putting them in the bathroom so they can get moisture, while you take a shower! But don?t put pressure on them by hanging them, put them just on a soft towel and let them soak in the mist of the water! WEAR THEM AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE, that will make YOU feel great and give THEM a very long life!:)

Thanks Jerin! I do use silk pouches for loose pearls which aren't strung and are awaiting a home, but I'm not nearly as diligent as you to make a list. You're right about the insurance though. I should do that.

Hi Inge,
Your suggestion would be perfect if I weren't so disorganised. Back when I was younger and the brain worked well, I did keep my pearls in pouches.
Now the brain cells are befuddled and I can't make it work logically any more, so I find my current system much quicker and easier for me.
:confused: :D

I use silk pouches in various colors, and rather than numbers, I sort of match the pearls to the pouch - pink pearls in pink pouch, black in black, greenish Tahitians in green, etc. The special ones like freshadamas and untreateds go in especially pretty pouches; freshadamas in royal blue, baroque multis in teal, etc. I can pretty much remember which strand is in which pouch, and to help me remember, I will occasionally sit down and go through all of the pouches, cackling gleefully as I admire them all....

Sueki: Did you cut and paste your velvet liner or did it come with an adhesive backing? Somehow I can just imagine I'd velvet my fingers together and attach my hand to some nether-regions. Thanks!

:eek:
Oooh Knotty !!!
O.K. - I used the spray-on glue. Outside, otherwise everything else gets a coat of glue too, no, not where you're thinking, unless one is a naturist.
Back to the project. I cut pieces of card to fit the sides and bases of the drawers (the card shapes must be slightly smaller than the drawer, or they won't fit in after covering with wadding and velvet).
Spray glue the backs of the side pieces of card, and cover with the velvet, turning the velvet over and pressing flat on the back. You will have to snip the corners to reduce thickness of velvet layers.

Then lightly spray the base shapes with glue and place a layer of polyester wadding, cut to the same size or slightly smaller than the card. Then cut pieces of velvet about 1 inch bigger all round than the card.
Spray the back of the card and lay the velvet over the wadding and turn it over at the edges to stick on to the backs of the card, again snipping at the corners to reduce thickness.

When dry, spray glue the drawer and place the velvet covered side pieces in, and then the wadding-and-velvet-covered base.
I think that's everything.
Oh, and if you fancy decorating the outsides, don't do what I did with my first lot - lined all with black velvet inside, and then spray painted with silver and gold glitter paint !!

I cheated, I just received my order of adhesive backed anti-tarnish liner to put in the places that don't already have it. I keep my "good" pearls in pouches, color coded as much as possible. Am NOT hanging them on the back of the shower door as I threatened to do!;) Also ordered several yards of the anti-tarnish cloth to use as needed.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Pattye! You've been holding out! Adhesive backed, anti-tarnish liner? How long does it last? And, of course, where did you get it!

Hi All,

It's from Voguefabricsstore.com. Most of what I have heard says tarnish free from 25-50 years. Based on the item being clean when stored originally, and stored in a closed drawer or box or jewelry box when not being worn. Good enough for me. I haven't used it yet, just got it! Also got some of the anti-tarnish yardage to lay over the items I am storing. However, I have a couple of the jewelry storage items with anti-tarnish lining from QVC, had them for several years, and been pleased with the performance.
Trouble is, some of the necklaces I make have pretty big beads, so I bought some sturdy 1 inch deep boxes to line to hold stuff I hope to sell. I probably will get some of the anti-tarnish strips, too, I haven't ordered those as yet. Sounds like they work also.

Pattye

Hooray !
I've cracked it at last.
Okay, so the little grey cells took a while to realise the obvious, but they're knocking on a bit and I got there in the end.
Attached pics. of my pearl storage. Sorry the pics. aren't great - taken at night under electric lighting and I seem to have unsteady hands....
This is one drawer from a set of two from the well known Swedish store.
The drawer sets come in unfinished pale wood, and I spray-painted them and lined the drawers with black velvet.
The pearls are nestled in velvet-lined boxes which I have bought from a packaging supplier. This way the pieces are separate and less likely to suffer damage - I hope.
I don't use the box lids, instead I lay a piece of velvet over the entire drawer.

Attachments

• 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 39
Another pic.

Attachments

• 0007.JPG
    0007.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 40
Nicely done, Sueki! Thanks for the excellent photos, good solution.

Pattye

Thank you, Pattye.
I forgot to say that I was using white card boxes and intending to divide the drawers somehow.
Then I looked at one of my Druzy bracelets in a black velvet-lined box and the penny dropped.
Now, I can quickly and easily choose what to wear. And the thought occurs to me to maybe wet the velvet cover cloth from time to time....

A pearl drawer fit for a queen! Beautiful! Your little beauties have a wonderful home when they are waiting to adorn your lovely neck (and ears)!

My pouch

My pouch

I looked at thepearldoctor.com and saw that they also offer pouches for storage. Their site also mentioned that suede pouches are nice too. I put my strands, earrings and rings in a leather jewelry roll lined with suede and store them in the small safe in the house. Thanks to all the posts. I will put a sponge in the safe now.

Back