Pearl Memories

Linda J

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0003.jpgFor a few years after the end of the Seattle World's Fair, you could still find Murata Pearl and their "fish for a pearl in an Oyster bed". I think the cost was from $5 to $20 to pick a certain number or size of oyster--late 1970's. Each was suppose to have a pearl or your money back and if they would buy the pearl if you didn't want it. I think that is how it went--anyway, My mother and I visited and she got four to my three--my three were dark--not sure what color. The place wanted to buy the three I had immediatly for twice what I paid--but I thought they were to pretty and I kept them. One I had set in a ring the smaller ones have never been set. The same for my mom. I still have the Murata Pearl brochure that the pearls were placed. I know they are cultured and probably not worth anything---but I thought it would be fun for you pearl lovers to see them. Feel free to let me know what you think---Thanks

Linda J,

Thanks for sharing your pearling experience! Have you collected other pearls since? Yes, your pearls would be cultured akoya, likely with thick nacre. Great that you have the brochure also. Although the pearls don't have a high $ value, you and your Mother had a priceless experience together. I like what I can see of the ring styles, are they sterling silver?

Back