Pearl identification

koi

Hi everyone,

Some one gave me a pearl bangle long time ago. It's kind of old style. 14k gold with diamonds. The pearl is about 13-14 mm. It was from the Philippines.
1. Can any experts tell me what kind of pearl is this? The grade?
2. If I want to remove the pearl from the setting, how should I do it?
3. what's the est. market value?

thank you very much,

Koi

only the first picture is taken with flashlight. The rest is natural light.

20140128_105556.jpg
20140128_105615.jpg
20140128_105725.jpg
20140128_105840.jpg
20140128_105852.jpg

Koi,

What a pretty and unusual bracelet! There isn't any way to tell you the market value. You would need to get an official appraisal to establish the replacement value. An appraiser would be able to estimate the weight and value of the diamonds, which could be the most valuable part of the bracelet.

The pearl appears to be a south sea with no apparent blemishes, but there could be blemishes where pearl is mounted or on the underside. Is there a basket the pearl is set in? Is the pearl on a peg? Please if possible put up a photo of the back side of the setting.

What is your intention for removing the pearl? Please tell us more and we may have some suggestions for removal.

Thanks Pattye,

Really!!!! a south sea pearl :))))))
I will take more photos of the back.

I like the pearl but not the gold bangle. If I can remove it, I would like to take it to a jeweller and make a new necklace with white gold and diamonds.
I saw a youtube video and it suggested to microwave water for 2mins. Then place the pearl in it for 20 seconds. Then, it would be easier to remove the pearl from the setting. I wonder if the boiling water is going to damage the pearl.

thanks,
Koi

As your bracelet is older, the glue may have dried out a bit, allowing the pearl to be removed without much effort. I would try soaking in very warm tap water first, for at least 1/2 hour, then gently try twisting, wiggling to see if the pearl is loosening. (Of course, don't put the bangle in the microwave. :) ) I'd go slowly with this method, if the pearl seems to be a little loose, replace the hot water again and let it stand longer. Be patient~

If the pearl is set on a post, you want to avoid having the post break off in the pearl. A jeweler that works with pearls may also be willing to remove it at no cost if you are using it in new jewelry from them. (But I would ask how he intends to remove the pearl.)

There is also a solution called ATTACK, that will soak glue loose, but it can take some time, as much as a few days. I have used this product and it does work, but the fumes are dangerous, so I use it outside.

I recommend using the more conservative approaches first. Please let us know how it goes. Hopefully others will advise of their methods of removing pearls from settings.

Yes, I will use the conservative approach like you suggested. I just want to be sure that soaking in hot / warm water would not damage the pearl and luster?

Here's a recent thread about removing a pearl from a ring

If your pearl is in good condition, no cracked nacre or anything like that; I'm not aware of any reason the pearl or luster would be damaged. Ultimately though, it is your decision and responsibility if you want to try it. Every pearl is going to be a bit different.

Pattye,
I put the Attack in an 8 oz. canning jar and screw the band firmly over the lid to seal it well. (In the Northeast it's not convenient to have to do it outside!)

Could someone tell me what kind of pearls these are

Could someone tell me what kind of pearls these are

redblkpearlrare1.jpgredblkpearlrare2.jpg

Could someone tell me what kind of pearls I have?

Hi mommyof4,

It really is best to start your own thread -- someone will eventually come along who has an opinion on the pearl.

Back