Pearl Cove by Elizabeth Lowell

Mikeyy

Pearl Diver
Someone just told me about this book. I think it's romance. But I understand there is some stuff about pearl grading etc. involved. That's sort of romantic if you do it with the right partner. Huh Jeremy. :) Here is some about the book.

Surrounded by potential enemies, Hannah McGarry faces the mystery of her husband's suspicious death, the prospect of bankruptcy, and the disappearance of the fabulous Black Trinity necklace that was to be her financial security. Desperate, she calls Archer Donovan, a silent partner in Pearl Cove, her late husband's pearl farm venture. He might help her... if the price is right. Archer Donovan would rather forget he'd ever heard of Pearl Cove -- a life that taught him to trust no one but family. But when Hannah McGarry calls Archer is back in the game. And at his side in pursuit of the stolen fortune is a woman he shouldn't want, yet cannot resist. Hannah is a woman who may know more than she's telling about her husband's death, and more than is safe to know about the dark and elusive black pearls. With deadly competitors in pursuit, Archer and Hannah race through uncharted waters in search of the fabulous Black Trinity. And the closer they come to finding the coveted pearls, the closer they come to danger and death -- and to each other.

Hot damn!

Hot damn, indeed! I do believe you might be right about it being a romance...

- Karin

I first read it when I knew nothing about pearls except that I loved them, and before I met PearlGuide. It's very Steamy (wagging eyebrows and hot flushes). Talk about Pearlnography:eek:. But Fun!
Anyway, I just picked it up again two days ago (synchronicity) to see if the information about pearls and the industry named names, and was accurate. (Nothing like picking up Playgirl, to read the articles. I wonder if that magazine exists anymore...). I hope there's no reference to grains of sand starting pearls...

MikeYY, did you read the book?

Last edited:
Well, I'm halfway through and they haven't gotten to the Seattle pearl show where they show what they know about pearls. I say 'they' because her husband sometimes co-authors(?).

If you're reading this, don't give up when you get to the section where the price/valuation given to a pearl is in the tens of thousands, thinking Bogus Read!...

There's always a 'learning' section to this string of romance novels. Anything from climbing to jade to fly-fishing to gems to ancient Tibetan silks, whatever... I don't think most 'Romance' readers care about flyfishing, but it can be interesting... One of her books (written mid-later-career) had a terrific section about Caving, even though it was reviewed as a lack-luster, 'phone-it-in' book. I guess after you get to a certain age, writing about romantic relationships aimed at a certain age group can be - been there done that?

Anyway, Pearl Cove was written before the period when she/they got burned out, and she seems to have gotten a second wind since then. Her SciFi stuff (under 'Ann Maxwell') is different. I think her energies were turned to that genre when her romance novels got dull.

I'll see if they have a 1cent copy or download at amazon. Otherwise, I'll have to wait. I like your analysis of the plot structure with the McGuffin to learn. I didn't know that and I am delighted someone does!

What's a McGuffin?

I'm hoping they didn't slip, and say a grain of sand can stimulate a pearl...even recently I watched a video, and the Chinese translator said a grain of sand or a -I forget her word for shell invader or parasite- stimulates a pearl to grow.

Well, did anyone finish the book? Any comments? I didn't finish my second read, got busy with other books. I'm back to it now, with the same questions And the knowledge that single pearls can be worth in the tens of thousands, which I didn't believe before, silly me.

Back