Order arrived, have a couple of questions

jody

Hi,

From all the information I gleamed from this forum, I placed an order with PearlParadise and it arrived today. :)

I purchased an 18' freshadama strand and dangle earrings, 7-8 mm. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in true light yet since it was dusk when the package arrived. From what I have seen they look very nice and am anxious to see them in sunlight and according to the weather, we may get some on Friday. Ugh! (We have many gray days in the winter in mid Michigan.)

Here are my questions....when I held up the strand it seems kind of crooked, will the strand straighten out when wearing?

Also, I have decided the dangle earrings are just not my style and will exchange them for simple pearl studs. In sending them back, I am hoping it will be easy to match size and color for the strand I am keeping. Recommendations for keeping them the same size, 7-8mm?

Since this is my first 'nice' pearl necklace, I went with the recommendations that the 7-8mm was a good, all around size for everyday wear and also when dressing up. In seeing the pearls, I think I would love the next larger size, but the price seems to really jump. Do many of the pearl lovers have the 8-9mm size?

I had also thought about the freshadama set to also have the matching bracelet. Many threads thought bracelets were too fragile to be worn daily, and also wondered if the quality was the same in the set as opposed to a la carte?

Thanks in advance for all my questions. I really appreciate all the help.

Jody

Hi Jody,
here some answers to your questions:

Look at your Freshadamas in diffused light (cloudy sky)at noon towards the northern skies then it is easy to spot orient, luster and everything else. Do avoid bright sunshine, the pearls will reflect the light and you will see almost nothing. With a halogen lamp with cover you can see the orient very well.

Dangle earrings: I find them more practical than studs, especially if the pearls are round (Freshadamas) and large. For studs I think button shape is the best.The dangles are not in the way if you want to talk with someone on the phone.

The matching is not easy for PP if they cannot see the strand. Send an email with a good description.
Size 7 mm is good, they will not look too large on you.

Crooked strand:
They very often have that look after stringing, if you gently roll the strand you?ll loosen the knots a bit and the strand is not anymore kinky.
You can also hang them, so the weight of the strand will help to straighten it. If you have large pearls you should not hang them as the silk will stretch and make it necessary to restring the strand earlier than otherwise. 3 option: wear it, the same effect will occur.

Larger size then 7 mm looks great in my opinion. I have Freshadamas (2 row) 8 - 9 mm and there are several members that have even larger sizes, but these are really expensive (even though worth every cent).

Bracelets:
Personally I prefer strands to bracelets as I don?t want to get my pearls scratched, which eventually will be the case. Some advice from other members: if you have a bracelet, wear it on the hand opposite to you Writing hand.
The quality given from PP applies to a set as well as to a single piece. AAA will be AAA, Gem or Freshadama will be the same grade if you order a whole set.

Send us photos once you are ready.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jody. Usually I lurk but today I can speak from personal experience, so here goes.

I too was wavering between a 7-8mm and an 8-9mm Freshadama strand. I was warned by Kirsten at Pearl Paradise that, after buyers wear their strands for while, they often want larger and larger pearls. She was right. I purchased the 8-9mm strand about a year ago, and when I first started wearing it it seemed large. (And by the way, the crookedness fell out fairly quickly with regular wearing.) Now, I want even bigger ones to wear with my 8-9mm strand. Pile them on!

As for the bracelet I won't be too much help, but my personal preference is this: Bracelet and drop-shaped dangles together, strand and studs together. I wear the Freshadama studs almost every day, with or without the strand. Large-size round dangles tend to look like swinging Christmas ornaments on me. And my two-year old likes to play with them. I have a beautiful pair of 9mm akoya dangles that I rarely wear because my shirt collar has to be exactly right. Jerin is right about the dangles being more practical on the telephone though. Dangles vs. Studs is not your only option...you can also have Freshadama earrings made up of two pearls one atop the other (the Juliette earrings on the Pearl Paradise website). Mine are lavendar and white, but you could do two whites and have the best of both worlds (except for telephone convenience)!

Good luck!

I had wished for 8-9mm but money was limited at the time. I needed to choose between 7-8mm Freshadamas and 8-9mm AAA pearls and decided that higher luster and orient were more important to me than size.

Having said that, I still have plans to get some 8-9mm (or larger) pearls!:D

I have two 8 -9 mm freshadama strands (18" and 32") with matching stud earrings. I also have an 18" strand of 10-11 mm along with dangle earrings and a matching bracelet. (What can I say, I love them!:D). I wear the bracelet usually as a stand-alone piece, on my non-writing hand, so it won't be damaged in any way. I love the bracelet. You get to look at the pearls all the time. I save the larger pearls, 10-11 mm, for special occasions or when I'm wearing a collared shirt. (You can also get a very similar look by buying the larger size freshwater baroques for a fraction of the cost.)

I think 7-8 mm is really classic and I love my own stud earrings. I don't find that they get in the way when I'm on the phone too much and they just work with everything. However, the 8-9 mm is a great size as well. If you are already thinking you'd like the larger size, you probably would. I'd seriously consider an exchange for the larger size, even if you have to wait a few more months to swing the extra cost.

Dear Pearl Dreams:
It sounds as though you have really been thinking a lot about whether you will be happy with your freshadama or not. I usually just lurk on the Guide but hope you won't mind me adding my thoughts.
From all I have read, on PP's website, and from contributors here, 7-8mm pearls are a very traditional size. A good size for a grown woman. As you now know, the freshadama are fabulous. My personal favorites also. After reading E. Curley's advice I wanted to add a comment. It's very true that if you won't be happy with 7-8 mm's you should probably change them. And, you might ask yourself, are you a traditionalist? Would it be fun later to twine two 7-8's together into a mini-torsade? I got two salmon 7-8's for Christmas and had them done in a 17 and 18 inch double and sometimes I wear it as a double, other times as a torsade. I like the torsade better. I also put two or three strands together sometimes and wear them twisted into a torsade. Traditionally, a torsade has many strands. Technically, I think it just means twisted. So, you can be as creative as you want, and have fun, without busting your budget today. And you can save for a few months and buy another that you really want in a color and size you don't have yet! So you can have your pearls and wear them too! If you have lurked on this website long you will see that many pearlophiles end up with necklaces enough to need a whole special dresser for.
Good Hunting
barbie biggs

Dear Pearl Dreams:
If you have lurked on this website long you will see that many pearlophiles end up with necklaces enough to need a whole special dresser for.

barbie biggs

Oh, Lordy, how very true.....

Hi Barbie-

I think you may have intended to address Jody rather than me? My Freshadamas were a custom order and not returnable in any case, but I can always pass them on to my teen whenever I buy larger pearls, so I'm not concerned about that.

I got married in 6mm pearls with an enhancer and they looked great, but I do think older women tend to look better in larger pearls. I also have some Biwa pearls that I received 27 years ago that I restrung and wear as a torsade, and that is also very effective. But I've had that style for several years and lately I'm thinking of restringing them yet again with some tourmalines. It's fun to change the look now and then and recycle the beads!

Hmmm...I could even restring the Freshadamas someday with some of my better stone beads knotted in between. Now there's an idea....

Dear Pearl Dreams:
You're right, I did confuse my response between you and Jody. My apologies. Your wedding pearls sound lovely. Is there any chance that you will share pics of your Biwa pearls with us if you haven't already?
barbie

I don't know how to post photos here! Anyone?

Tonight my daughter had an event at her school that she had to dress up for. She wore my Freshadamas and I really, really enjoyed seeing them on her. She looked so elegant!

Back