Opinions Please- Ugly pearl warning

pammbw

This strand was purchased in China about 10 years ago by my husband, I remember thinking when he gave them to me that they were really, really homely. I also seem to remember him possibly saying something about them being not dyed and that was why he bought them. I am sure he only paid a few dollars so no harm in that regard. He went to Beijing a lot and shopped at the Pearl Market just to kill time so never spent too much money. I stuck them in the back of my bead stash and never strung them up till now.

What I would like to know from the PG expert community is- are these pearls undyed, unprocessed gray freshwater pearls? They would be much more endearing to me if I knew they were straight from the mussel, and had a reason for being so homely, than if they were simply ugly pearls. There is lots of variation of color in the strand and even in each pearl. They do liven up a bit when worn, but if this is what natural gray looks like, bring on the dye!

Photo taken outside on very rainy day, so they look their absolute worst.

ugly gray pearls (400x300).jpg

I am by no means an expert, but it looks like if there are some dark spots and some darker areas around the drill holes which could indicate that they have been dyed

Sigh... they remind me of the ugly dog waiting to be adopted at the pound. I think they just need to be worn to grow on me.

Sigh... they remind me of the ugly dog waiting to be adopted at the pound. I think they just need to be worn to grow on me.

:eek: Why not restring them and mix them up with some nice beads or Swarovski crystals? Maybe adding some contrasting color or some sparkle might give them a whole new feel. I sure think this dog deserve to be adopted and loved, just give him a bath and a haircut first and he will look great! ;)

I am with raggdoll, you could take them apart and use them as part of a mixed pearl or mixed bead project and give them some new life!!

I say throw them away. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

If the clasp is gold or silver, save it. It's worth more than the pearls.

Some "funky" pearls are a challenge for sure! If you aren't seeing a buildup of dye, it's possible these pearls are irradiated, as some light gray colors are produced this way (not dangerous). I'm with P-W and Ragdoll, maybe add some bright metal, crystals or a fav gemstone. Pick out 2 of the prettiest, well matched pearls first and set aside for earrings. Adding beads will give you more length.

Pam, I'm feeling like these are the "gray flannel" pearls compared to the "silk and satin" pearls we love!

Hmm, am thinking we haven't done a challenge here on P-G for a long time, and perhaps something like "Funky Pearl Restyle" might be fun. Anyone game? If so, I will set something up over on Lowly Beaders.

Life is too short -- and there are too many really gorgeous pearls out there-- to wear pearls (or any jewelry, or clothing) we don't like.

I would donate them, personally. Someone will love them! It doesn't have to be you.

I wore them out running errands and stopped at the craft store. Crystal beads just seemed to emphasize the flaws too much, so I picked up a string of abalone? Paua? Not sure what kind of shell they are- beads. I will give it one shot and if they don't work for me they will be donated for someone else to love. Can't keep every stray dog I find. Lol! I will post the results in the beaders destash thread.

I will give it one shot and if they don't work for me they will be donated for someone else to love. Can't keep every stray dog I find. Lol! I will post the results in the beaders destash thread.

Sounds like a good plan! I'm looking forward to see how it goes. And if you still don't like them, don't feel guilty. Pearl Dreams is right, someone will love them and it sure doesn't have to be you! I have sold and donated many pieces of jewelry that just didn't work for me, even pieces that I have gotten as a gift. Presents play out their role once they are given, they are not meant to sit in your drawer and give you guilt for years and years, that's is not what the giver intended for you!

I say throw them away. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

They'd look cute in a fishbowl. Time to get a goldfish!

This thread made me laugh! Personally, I wouldn't bother to doll-up these pearls unless you have sentiment attached to them since they were a gift from hubby. Otherwise, maybe Pattye is onto something! I could use a funky pearl necklace to go with my ugly Christmas sweater (annual event at work)!

Back