Onyx & Pearl Bracelet - What kind of pearls?

Miguelle

Community member
Hello,

I bought this bracelet from a store selling vintage jewelries.

Are the pearls with the onyx - akoya? Thank you!
B1D74161-3D06-4527-8E3A-BD5134778960.jpg

The pearls do look quite round, so if they are real pearls and the bracelet is actually older, they are likely akoyas. But I can't really tell from that photo whether they are real pearls, or for that matter real onyx.

A few questions...

1. Was the bracelet sold to you as genuine pearls and real onyx? (Or are you just hoping that's what it is?)

2. Is there a metal mark on the clasp -- e.g. 14k, 14/20 (gold filled), 925 (sterling silver, therefore vermeil-- gold plated over silver) or any other mark? A more valuable vintage bracelet is more likely to have a more valuable clasp, especially if it dates back to when gold was less pricey. If the clasp is gold plated base metal, gold filled or vermeil, it's less likely the bracelet is genuine/valuable.

3. I suggest you do the "tooth test" : rub one of the pearls gently against another pearl, or rub one gently against the edge of your front tooth. Real nacre is bit gritty feeling while imitation pearls glide smoothly.

If the pearls test as real nacre and the clasp is gold, they are probably akoyas.

Thanks for your reply, Pearl Dreams!

- It was sold as pearls and onyx, 14k clasp and I did the tooth test and it feels gritty.

6A703695-50A2-4373-A656-577A8B82EF53.jpg
A7E3083B-DFAB-462B-BCDC-B11EB1778F9D.jpg

Back