newbie question: too many pits on these tahitian and south sea pearls?

dryad

Hello, everyone, I recently bought two strands of pearl necklace from an online retailer. The price was about $1k each. I saw quite some pits on these pearls. This is my first pearl purchase. I read in some threads here saying it's normal to have pits in pearls. But I am not sure how many pits are too many? Could you help me with this? Thanks in advance! :eek:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5833.jpg
    IMG_5833.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5831.jpg
    IMG_5831.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 53
They are more blemished than I would be comfortable with. How were they described when you bought them? Do they match that particular vendor's grading description? The number of blemishes will vary with the quality of the pearl. Pearl grades are based primarily on luster, number of blemishes, and shape, with colour and size also factoring into price. Top grades will have few blemishes (and those which are there will be well hidden). Lower grades become more visible in the number and extent of blemishes.

Hopefully they offer a no hassle return policy given that you are less than happy.

In strands of pearls you can expect to find some blemishes. Higher grade strands (as defined by the specific vendor, since pearl grades are not standardized) will have blemishes on a smaller per cent of the surface than lower grade strands. If your vendor posts their grading system, check it. Not all vendors post how they grade.

If the pearls are very lustrous, it can make blemishes less noticeable at a social distance.

For me, if the blemishes are quite noticeable -- if I focus on the blemishes and not on the overall look of the strand-- then there are too many blemishes. No one but you can say how many is too many.

I agree, there looks to be more blemishes on these pearls than I would like. I am by no means a pearl expert though. The saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". As said before, returning shouldn't be an issue with any reputable retailer.

Thanks, everyone. I was also not comfortable with the blemishes. I will return them both. I will keep looking for my pearl necklace.

Dryad,

Sorry for your disappointment in the quality of the pearls. Many trustworthy online vendors post here and are worth checking out. Are you in the US? You can sign up for newsletters on their websites, and click the link under their signature when they post.

Here is a partial list: (all .com)

Pearl Paradise, Kojima Pearl, Kamoka Pearls. These are just the first few that came to mind; there are others. Think Pearl Paradise is having a sale on Tahitians soon.

Dryad,

Sorry for your disappointment in the quality of the pearls. Many trustworthy online vendors post here and are worth checking out. Are you in the US? You can sign up for newsletters on their websites, and click the link under their signature when they post.

Here is a partial list: (all .com)

Pearl Paradise, Kojima Pearl, Kamoka Pearls. These are just the first few that came to mind; there are others. Think Pearl Paradise is having a sale on Tahitians soon.

Thank you so much, pattye. I will check out these websites. :eek:

All the senior consultants I have read encourage buyers to see the pearls first hand. Since then I go to jewelry stores and check out the pearls. Then....I take pictures and send them to the forum... The forum tends to be my second and third eyes. I know many people go to pearl paradise, however I want to see the Pearl first hand. It is me after being busted!

These are reputable pearl website. Is there a conflict of interest when a consultant owns a website?

I think the owners of P-G are careful not to cross that line, bluidragon. But I understand wanting to see the pearls in person before buying. You do know that PP has a showroom and you can make an appointment to see the pearls in person, right?

No ,I did not know. Where is the showroom? Do they have showrooms in D.C. . I would love to visit and speak with experts on the subject before buying pearls.

PP is located in Los Angeles-- the address is at the bottom of the home page of the website. It's primarily an online business, so you need to make an appointment to visit.

One thing that I'd like to know about the strands you posted..what size are the pearls. If they are large (say more than 10mm) and they are roundish and not baroque or circled, that could bump the price up. There are lots of factors that influence the price of pearls. The more you read that more it becomes clear. And it's really worth while to visit the websites and just look at the pearls and the prices to see what you can expect to get for $1,000 .

I am on the east coast as well, and have purchased from many of the vendors... PP has a wonderful return policy. If you don't like the pearls, you can very easily send them back. It's helpful to ask for as many photos in different lighting (outdoor, indoor, filtered, and with flash). I would give them a phone call and tell them exactly what you are seeking, your price range, etc. and have them send you photos of options.

Back