New to forum . . . Trying to find out about my pearls

Mtummybear

Wondering if someone can tell me if this is a cherry red Tahitian pearl? 25148A19-2C25-4E51-8396-DA32CBC235C6.jpg

A necklace I have. Told its a red tone Tahitian pearl. Person that made had to collect to have enough to string necklace.B357852D-0EA8-4CDB-81FE-97AB68FC718F.jpg

Attachments

• 49A8F95C-434D-4882-9FCD-6CDD017ACAD8.jpg
    49A8F95C-434D-4882-9FCD-6CDD017ACAD8.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 30

Hi,
Found this site and thought I could post to find out about pearl choker I have. Since I’m new, did a foolish thing and posted pix to other threads. Sorry people, hope no one offended. Never did this before. If okay, will post pix of pearls later. Mahalo!

Hi Mtummybear! No problem, I just moved your posts over to the same thread so we can see your pretty photos.
Looks like a well matched strand of Tahitians to me! :)

I cannot see a single blemish on them, so either it's a very well matched strand of Tahitians or imitation strand. Have you tried rubbing pearls against each other to check the gritty feel?

Also, is the person who collected these pearls a dealer or pearl farmer? To collect a strand of so well matched Tahitian pearls from loose batches would take maaaaaany maaaaaaany pearls to go through. I would say that usually single-color strands are bought pre-matched and drilled, and not collected from loose.. So this is unusual :)

It has silicone bumps between the pearls, not knots. Was the strand bought in Japan?

The necklace graduates, which you would not tend to see with imitation pearls. The overtones of some of the pearls are a bit greener than others, and I see what look like blemishes on the 5th pearls from the clasp in the first photo of post #2, unless those are reflections. I'm leaning toward high quality, well-matched Tahitian pearls, but by all means do the "tooth test" Mtummybear!

It may be. I have two cherry strands. Do you have any more photos of this? Also did you see this in person?

Sorry, was at a work conference so just saw posts. Purchased from seller that bought in Japan. Pearls are gritty, did tooth test. She was told it took the pearl farmer a while to collect all the pearls as don’t harvest very often. Thank you for the information. She was told red tahitian; I found cherry red online and wasn’t sure

E6E8E59B-3725-4697-B1AC-0F227AB02FC9.jpg

Hope this is a better picture.

Attachments

• B6B0183A-979C-443C-AB69-064C62228BE5.jpg
    B6B0183A-979C-443C-AB69-064C62228BE5.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 29
It’s a choker. I honestly can’t tell you size of pearls. The pearls are graduated in size. Clasp is actually magnectic per my request. The seller wanted to put a 14k clasp. Hope this helps.

Bought in Japan by the person I bought from. The individual she bought from said it took a while to collect all the pearls. He was from Tahiti and I was told it was strung.

Back