new pieces

Hi Patricia and thanks. I have been lusting after your amazing abalones--awesome.

Some times I knot, and sometimes not.:)

For example, I did knot the SS pearl strand but not the keshi pearls or the pearls that are intermixed with other gemstones.

My concerns have been that the potentially sharp corners of some of the gem beads could cut the stringing material or , because of the design, I needed to use stringing material that could not be knotted--at least not in an attractive way.

For example, I have made several necklaces in which pearls are "stationed" between double strands of sapphire briolettes. The briolettes have very small holes that required beading wire of a very small diameter for stringing, rather than traditional pearl stringing materials, such as silk, or newer materials such as powerpro.

In such situations I use the 49 strand beading wire--which consists of 49 strands of microwire covered with a nylon (or similar material) coating. Such wire is strong for its very small diameter and works well with gem beads especially those with very small holes. I try to work with the 49 strand wire because it gives the softest drape and most flexibility. Some have brand preferences, but I find most work well. I use accuflex frequently because it has the smallest diameter 49 strand beading wire available (.012"), while other brands such as Beadalon, soft touch, etc., have 49 strands in .013" and larger.

I use a variety of clasps but mostly use either Argentium silver, or gold clasps. It really depends on the design and materials.

I have recently been making S hook clasps, and some hook type (bracelet clasps) for my silver pieces, but generally I purchase them.

Cannot wait to see what you decide to do with your remaining unset abalones. Can I be green with jealousy ?:D

Peace, Beth

Back