New beader looking for feedback.

Thanks for the feedback folks - I've had a look at All Wired Up on Amazon and it does look good, so I'll add that to my list of things I need to acquire at some point (think I need a couple more pliers of different sorts too).

I've got some sterling silver wire on order too, so glad it might be easier to work with! I've got my eye on some keshis for the tin cup - just need to find the ones that really speak to me and then I'll give it a go. Think it will be easier when I'm just dealing with a single pearl per wrap - the carnelian beads had much larger holes than the pearls I was using so the wire was a bit too thin for them and kept slipping under. I'm sure with the correct gauge wire / bead combination, it'll work a bit better.

Are you using two threads to knot? If so, be sure to pull them apart and use them to get the pearls really tight up against the last knot. I also tug the entire string from the ends, just to make sure there isn't a little kink inside the last pearl.

Yep, two threads for sure - and I really pull on the knots too (amazes me how strong the silk is!). After one day's wear, there is very slight (all most unnoticeable) stretch in the necklace, but none in the bracelet. Think I'll calculate the ounces per inch (or something similar) that I used to stretch the bracelet length and then scale it up for my next project, which is....a nice long rope!

Yep, one of my next batches of pearls arrived today - they are sooo pretty. I'll post some photos when I get a chance - I've got a bass guitar lesson tonight so no playing with pearls for me this evening. :(

Last edited:
Bit late here, welcome and congratulations from me.:)
You have done a fine job for a first time knotter.

I noticed the holes looked quite big in the picture of the two pearls.
this could be a contributing factor why your knots did not hold. If
you used two strands and the thread was not thick enough.
this could cause the knots to slip even though you have them close to the pearl.

I agree regarding the wiring, heaps of practise.

I also recomend quality tools if you are going to do a lot of wire work.
round nose for the loops, chain nose for the holding of the loop and flush cutters to finish off.

Back